Camping - without prebooking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Given unpredictable weather etc, is it unreasonable not to book a campsite and ring up the day before to check if they've got tent pitches free, or just turn up if you are able to risk it

A while ago I phoned a campsite up, and they pencilled us in for a certain date. It's to stay from a Thursday - Sat night, in the town where my parents live - for a bit of a camping experience and to see the parents etc. If we wanted to book we needed to send a deposit, but I decided not to, given weather etc, to be flexible. Phoned up today and the owner said yes, they had spaces, but was obviously irritated that I hadn't booked. "We might be busy this weekend - at this time of year" "you need to book". I asked can I book now then ...? "you can't book now it's too late" "you should have booked, everyone books". He put the phone down fairly quicky. But surely if they have spaces, it's first come first served is it not??:biggrin:;)

Andy

byegad

Legendary Member
Sounds like the Basil Fawlty school of management. I booked a wonderful site in Suffolk over the phone and he INSISTED that he read out THE RULES OF THE SITE before he took my bookng. No vans, children quiet after 9pm, no single sex groups, no loud music... his list went on and on. My mate who booked by letter got the same tirade when he turned up. The manager said he often got familes with children turning away before he finished his list and no surprise. We reckoned he had been forced to have so many touring places in order to get planning permission for the vast number of permanent caravans he had on site but was not interested in filling the places as he was making a mnt from his residents.

The site was brilliant and I'd use it again, you just have to tolerate his intolerance.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
I don't think this site has a credit card acct for phone booking; they don't have a website. Anyway, the owner could have said - we're prefer people to book, but we do have spaces at the moment, so it'd be good to see you....but be aware that it isn't guaranteed; we'll go through the regs when you get here.

We're still going to turn up at the site, but if worst come to the worst we'll pitch in my parents garden... ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
andyoxon said:
Given unpredictable weather etc, is it unreasonable not to book a campsite and ring up the day before to check if they've got tent pitches free, or just turn up if you are able to risk it

A while ago I phoned a campsite up, and they pencilled us in for a certain date. It's to stay from a Thursday - Sat night, in the town where my parents live - for a bit of a camping experience and to see the parents etc. If we wanted to book we needed to send a deposit, but I decided not to, given weather etc, to be flexible. Phoned up today and the owner said yes, they had spaces, but was obviously irritated that I hadn't booked. "We might be busy this weekend - at this time of year" "you need to book". I asked can I book now then ...? "you can't book now it's too late" "you should have booked, everyone books". He put the phone down fairly quicky. But surely if they have spaces, it's first come first served is it not??:biggrin:;)

Andy

The bloke is an arse, I am off camping for a few days next week and have not made a booking as I will wait to check the weather forecast first.

I have had sites at this time of the year try and and tell me I must pay for 5 nights even though I only want 2 nights. Simple, I take my trade elsewhere.

TVC

I tend to turn up on spec and hardly ever get turned away. On the couple of occasions a site has been full the owner has recommended another nearby place.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
He's an eejit to turn down business.

Your only risk at this time of the year is that you might not find a decent campsite with space. If you don't want hook-up you're in a much better position, but getting towards August Bank Holiday campsites can get pretty busy.

sound advice. electric hook-up needs to be booked well in advance. if you have that, it can extend your camping season at both ends though.

Danny

Legendary Member
I have never ever booked ahead when I've stayed at a campsite. I'm not even sure if most smaller sites even have a booking system, which is probably why you got the response you did.

If you just have a smallish tent there are going to be very few sites that don't have room. In fact I don't believe I have ever been turned away from a site because there was no room.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
This site has over a 100 tent pitches - I'll let you know what happens...:biggrin:

BTW - for tents, what do people generally use electric hook up for - coolers, heaters..?

Arch

Married to Night Train
andyoxon said:
BTW - for tents, what do people generally use electric hook up for - coolers, heaters..?

TV, Playstation... I assume electric hook up would apply more to the "arrive in a car with the kitchen sink and all" type of camping, than the cycle touring sort...

GrahamG

Guru
I've made a point of earmarking all the sites that don't take bookings and operate on a 'first come, first served' basis (even in the summer holidays!). If they're full then we'll just knock on a farmers door and ask if he's got a set-aside field we can pitch up in.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Dannyg said:
In fact I don't believe I have ever been turned away from a site because there was no room.

I have! I remember one May bank holiday trying every campsite around Ullswater and they were all full. My then boyfriend's parents had a caravan near by so we had to go and sleep on their floor in the end. We hadn't been together long and he hadn't got round to telling them about me. It was an interesting weekend!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
TV, Playstation... I assume electric hook up would apply more to the "arrive in a car with the kitchen sink and all" type of camping, than the cycle touring sort...

we use ours for a little heater (when needed) and to power an electric coolbag. also useful for the ipod speakers and various chargers, including the rechargable lamp.

GrahamG

Guru
I once camped next to a couple who had a TV, kettle and microwave. No joke, we wondered what the hell was going on after getting back from a day out and then hearing the Coronation Street theme! They were really nice, a good laugh but your typical lazy fat english folk who drove the 200 yards to the shop, ate take-aways every night and sat smoking & drinking waiting for the tumble drier. They were both nurses IIRC :wacko:

Danny

Legendary Member
HelenD123 said:
I have! I remember one May bank holiday trying every campsite around Ullswater and they were all full. My then boyfriend's parents had a caravan near by so we had to go and sleep on their floor in the end. We hadn't been together long and he hadn't got round to telling them about me. It was an interesting weekend!
Sounds like the sort of experience that could make or break a relationship ;)

Top Bottom