can I use a strobe light on my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Most lights on bikes now have a flash function so I'd imagine they'd be fine.

hotmetal

As far as I understand it, technically according to the Highway Code or the LVLR Regs, which were written shortly after Humphry Davy invented the incandescent lamp and have not been updated since teh invention of LEDs, you're probably not supposed to use a flashing LED. Or at least, you might be allowed to (I'm not an expert) but it doesn't count as a suitable illumination as far as the law is concerned.

However, given that loads of people use flashing LEDs these days, and those that don't probably don't have any lights at all, I think it's extremely unlikely that you'll ever have any problems from anyone regarding this. You'd have to be pretty unlucky for someone to do you for having the wrong sort of lights. I always use flashing LEDs (possibly in conjunction with a serious halogen if really dark), but I don't have any reflectors (which technically would be an equallt heinous crime against society).

The only thing I would give any consideration to on this subject would be whether they enable you to see rather than just be seen. But if the roads you use are well-lit, it won't matter. (Some roads near me are not well lit at night, hence my halogen light which is powerful enough to ride a mountain bike through the woods at night, so I can see where I'm going, rather than just be noticeable to cars).

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Flashing LED is OK, steady light has to conform to BS Blah Blah Blah. No standard for flashing lights apparently.

Police cars have blue strobes, but white ones?

Some drivers may mistake them for GATSO flashes.

Flashing LED is OK, steady light has to conform to BS Blah Blah Blah. No standard for flashing lights apparently.

Police cars have blue strobes, but white ones?

Some drivers may mistake them for GATSO flashes.

There may be a moral if not legal issue.

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations state (as above) flashing details for a reason

There is a posibility that epileptic fits may be triggered by certain flashing lights. In normal use the RVLR lights are safe

Admittedly the range of flashing frequency is narrow, but it is also linked to intensity of the light as well

The only rear light triggered fits have been during maintenance and it is though that the close proximity may have meant the intensity was sufficient.

If the Strobes are within this narrow rate and / or have sufficient intensity they may trigger a fit.

I would suggest researchingthis issue.

hotmetal

Thanks to the other posters for updating my knowledge about the legality of flashing LEDs. Good info.

Cunobelin does raise a valid point, and one that is not usually considered in this context. However, I personally (as someone with a little knowledge of the subject, not a doc) think that the risk, while it may exist, would be very small, and for 3 reasons:
1 - the number of epileptics that are photosensitive in this way is very small (5%), even as a proportion of those with epilepsy, never mind the population as a whole.
2 - the usual frequency range for seizure triggering is between 5-30 flashes per second, much faster than a normal LED torch (though I don't know the spec of the lamp in question).
3 - there probably aren't that many epileptics that are going to be driving behind you at night, close enough and for long enough to be affected. Photosensitivity is often linked to 'proper strobes' as found in clubs, also video games, or passing a line of trees with the sun behind.

Thanks to the other posters for updating my knowledge about the legality of flashing LEDs. Good info.

Cunobelin does raise a valid point, and one that is not usually considered in this context. However, I personally (as someone with a little knowledge of the subject, not a doc) think that the risk, while it may exist, would be very small, and for 3 reasons:
1 - the number of epileptics that are photosensitive in this way is very small (5%), even as a proportion of those with epilepsy, never mind the population as a whole.
2 - the usual frequency range for seizure triggering is between 5-30 flashes per second, much faster than a normal LED torch (though I don't know the spec of the lamp in question).
3 - there probably aren't that many epileptics that are going to be driving behind you at night, close enough and for long enough to be affected. Photosensitivity is often linked to 'proper strobes' as found in clubs, also video games, or passing a line of trees with the sun behind.

That is my point - there are no "on road" reports of epileptics being affected by bike lights.

HSE actually restricts strobes to four flashes per second for the above reason.

thomas

the tank engine
AS I have now given up scuba diving i have a a couple of strobe lights like these here

http://shop.diveline...ampaign=pid2045

As they attach via a little velcro strap I was thinking of either attaching them to me or the bike. I just wondered though that as they flash on and off if I should use them or not?

I shouldn't worry too much. As long as they seem sensible, use them. If you've got lights, it's very unlikely that the Police would stop you and claim that they are BC standard such and such and don't have appropriate kite marks for use with a bicycle or some nonsense.

[QUOTE 1141165"]
+1 Having a 200 lumen light flash at 10hz (for example) is not my idea of fun as an oncoming driver.
[/quote]

Wouldn't bother most Portsmouth drivers - they can't see a 720 lumens light!

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I've "heard"...I'm not saying that it's true...but might be worth considering...that flashing lights should only be used in addition to steady beams, as they can distort a motorist's sense of distance, by appearing to be a distant vehicle passing on the far side of a line of trees or a fence.

zacklaws

Guru
I know from experience how dangerous they can be to other road users last winter when I was cycling home on the cyclepath, when I had what I presumed another cyclist approach me with a very bright flashing light, it was not untill we almost collided head on that I was finnally able to judge his distance away from me. The other rider was just looking down at the ground and his face only came into view when my light lit it up and he too got a shock as I swerved past him.

siadwell

Guru
I did a bit of reading around the subject after reading this article.

Can't find it now, but there was some forum where epilepsy sufferers were discussing their condition. Someone reported that flicking through a glossy magazine triggered their epilepsy. Must make life a tad tricky.

BTW, bike lights appear to be legally limited to no more than 4 flashes a second, so if your strobes flash no faster than this, they should pose no problem for the majority of sufferers.

scouserinlondon

Spose it depends. If you're re-creating Creamfields on the front of your bike, then probably not. But as long as it's angled down why not.

I have the hope 1 facing forwards on flash on all but the sunniest of days. I angle it down when it's proper dark.

Top Bottom