Can somebody explain the ins and outs of Paypal please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've got a Paypal account but have yet to use it. I'm thinking of bidding for a camera on Ebay and the seller will only take paypal. Should I win the auction I would like to use my visa card to pay. Could somebody give me an idiot's guide of how it works please?

Chris Sirrus

Give your Visa card details to paypal (add card in the menu I think). When you want to pay paypal will send the money to the seller and charge your credit card for it. That way you don't have to give credit card details to strangers on eBay.

maverick

Log on to your account, which should take you to the home page, click on 'profile', then 'add or remove card' then add the card you wish to pay with and enter details as requested, if you haven't already done so and forgotten about doing so.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm an idiot and I understand Paypal. You should have a bank account linked to it and when you buy something on Ebay, if there's no balance in your Paypal account it asks your permission to deduct the funds from your bank account. You can sell loads of rubbish on Ebay and accumulate funds in your Paypal account then use the lolly to buy bike bits.

That's about it. We've been using it for about 5 years and *touch wood* it's been fine.

Mr Pig

If people buy something from you, Paypal take a cut.
If you withdraw your own money, paypal take a cut.
If you fart, Paypal take a cut.
If you have ten million pounds of your money in their account, PayPal give you f*** all interest.

I think that covers it. And if you don't like it tough shoot as you'll soon have no choice.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Mr Pig said:
If people buy something from you, Paypal take a cut.

Only if they pay by PayPal

Mr Pig said:
If you withdraw your own money, paypal take a cut.

Not true

Mr Pig said:
If you fart, Paypal take a cut.

They are welcome to all of it :biggrin:

Mr Pig said:
If you have ten million pounds of your money in their account, PayPal give you f*** all interest.

In which case make a free transfer to your bank account and make better use of the money.

Mr Pig said:
I think that covers it. And if you don't like it tough shoot as you'll soon have no choice.

The only gripe that I have with PayPal is that, as a subsidiary of Ebay, it represents a second bite at the money generated by a sale should PayPal be used as the payment mechanism.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You resent paying Paypal a few bob when it has just enabled you to pay some bloke in Tokyo for a really obscure Manga DVD or whatever that you have found through the web? Presumably you expect to find then buy everything and transact the business through somebody's website completely free?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I use Paypal on a regular basis both for recurring payments and for buying over t'interweb. I get charged nothing for these services, even the rate of exchange they charge cannot be regarded as extortionate. When I sell something via E-Bay, then yes I am charged a fee, but I regard that fee as insurance. I know that I have been paid and I don't mind paying a reasonable sum for that. What you and I regard as reasonable may differ, but I ask you what right you have to expect such a service for free?

Mr Pig

Gerry Attrick said:
I know that I have been paid

As long as the buyer doesn't decide three-months down the line that he doesn't like the CD you sold him after all and get PayPal to take the money back?

but I ask you what right you have to expect such a service for free?

Free? No. Reasonable charges and interest on the vast sums they hold might be nice though. Do you think it's fair that they charge a percentage of a sale irrespective of how much the item sells for? Whether you sell a car or a toothbrush on eBay they have done exactly the same job taking the same effort and same resources, in fact a fully automated job that doesn't require them to do very much at all. Yet they'll take a few pence for one transaction and could take thousands of pounds for the other.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Mr Pig said:
As long as the buyer doesn't decide three-months down the line that he doesn't like the CD you sold him after all and get PayPal to take the money back?

Free? No. Reasonable charges and interest on the vast sums they hold might be nice though. Do you think it's fair that they charge a percentage of a sale irrespective of how much the item sells for? Whether you sell a car or a toothbrush on eBay they have done exactly the same job taking the same effort and same resources, in fact a fully automated job that doesn't require them to do very much at all. Yet they'll take a few pence for one transaction and could take thousands of pounds for the other.
You pays your money and takes your choice. If you don't like their methods, don't use 'em.

Jonathan M

Back to the OP.

He says he wants to use his credit card, which he can via Paypal. But will he still get the credit card protection, or becuase the payment on the card will be to PP does he have to rely upon PP's protection scheme?

Top Bottom