Can somebody explain the ins and outs of Paypal please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Llama

Veteran

Jonathan M said:
Back to the OP.

He says he wants to use his credit card, which he can via Paypal. But will he still get the credit card protection, or becuase the payment on the card will be to PP does he have to rely upon PP's protection scheme?

No credit card protection.

Google 'section 75 paypal'
Lots of stuff, e.g.
http://www.which.co.uk/advice/paypal---your-rights/paypal-protection-problems/index.jsp

Basically, your credit card txn is with PayPal, PayPal is then paying the seller as a separate txn.
Section 75 would only apply if PayPal didn't supply the service you were paying for - but that's simply to take your money and pay it on to someone else, so...

I dunno.
I've seen lots of people (like Alex above) saying they prefer to use PayPal to buy online at Wiggle, but I've heard so many bad tales about PayPal displutes and trouble getting your money back that I'd rather sort it out directly with my credit card company...
Plus, if you buy from an internet site using PayPal, they'll debit your card instantly, whether the goods are in stock at the retailer or not. If the retailer than doesn't send the stuff and doesn't answer your emails, or tells you there's going to be a delay but won't cancel your order and refund you, you'll have to sort it out with PayPal.
I'd rather my card was just debited at the point the goods were despatched (which is what the Consumer Credit Act requires anyway...)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As others have said Paypal is ok. Things can go wrong, and when they do, Paypal are famously as much use as a fart in a lift. But they very seldom do.

Mr Pig

Most of the people who like PayPal are those who've never had a problem to deal with. If you do have some kind of issue and try to talk to them, or deal with them in any kind of rational way, your opinion of PayPal will change very quickly. I would never sell anything of high value with PayPal, no chance.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Never had aproblem using Paypal to buy from Ebay or online shops - I prefer it as you don't have to fill all the bloody details in every time.

The only time we've had an issue is selling when somebody paid through Paypal using a stolen credit card. Paypal sent the money through and then snatched it back, days later, when they discovered the truth about the card. Too late for us as we'd already sent the stuff out.

So, buy - yes.
Sell - yes, but only when funds have cleared into the bank.

bonj2

threebikesmcginty said:
Never had aproblem using Paypal to buy from Ebay or online shops - I prefer it as you don't have to fill all the bloody details in every time.

The only time we've had an issue is selling when somebody paid through Paypal using a stolen credit card. Paypal sent the money through and then snatched it back, days later, when they discovered the truth about the card. Too late for us as we'd already sent the stuff out.

So, buy - yes.
Sell - yes, but only when funds have cleared into the bank.

That's what happened to me and I sued them and they paid up. My argument was that it was them that took the credit card payment, so it was them against whom a fraud had been committed, not me. I had successfully proved to them that the item had been sent out, so the fact that they had not successfully proved to the credit card company that I'd sent the item (to the address that THEY should have made sure matched the credit card address) was not my problem.
They settled up out of court "on the understanding that this is a goodwill gesture and represents no admission of liability". :biggrin: yeah right. Whatever.
Took a few months, but was just happy to have got my money back and deprived the stupid twunts of the £30 court fee for being so greedy.

Taking the money into the bank doesn't help either. They took it out of my account when some came in from an entirely different item.

Top Bottom