Can you speak any language/s

Can you speak any language/s other than English :?:

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Cool - cake and languages in the same thread.

So what's a Belgian bun called in Belgium then? And, no, it's not a joke. Or a Garibaldi in Italy?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Belgian bun in belgium (or something very like t) is apparently a Couque Suisse. A swiss bun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_bun

(I did have to google, I didn't know it. But I do know)

Arch

Married to Night Train
This, from Wiki, must be a joke, surely.... I can't breathe I'm laughing so much...

"The Garibaldi biscuit was named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian general and leader of the fight to unify Italy, who made a popular visit to Tynemouth in England in 1854. It was here he accidentally sat on an Eccles Cake and 'invented' the biscuit."

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, it seems the Garibaldi was indeed named after the Garibaldi after he visited Britain. But I can't find a mention of it in Italy.

http://www.englishteastore.com/garibaldi-biscuits.html

"This biscuit is named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian general and leader in the fight to unify Italy. It was first manufactured by Peak Freans in 1861 after Garibaldi visited England."

One of my distant cousin ancestors had the middle name Garibaldi, about the same time I think...

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Arch said:
Well, it seems the Garibaldi was indeed named after the Garibaldi after he visited Britain. But I can't find a mention of it in Italy.

He wasn't of the House of Bourbon, by any chance?

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Andy in Sig said:
Huisbun

or

le bun du maison?

(obviously depending on what bit of belgium you're in).

Don't forget the eastern cantons where they still speak German - except in McDonalds in Eupen, where I had to try to rustle up some French (je mange ici). ;)

yello

It was here he accidentally sat on an Eccles Cake and 'invented' the biscuit.

He presumably flattened the Eccles cake? (Isn't Eccles a town, near Manchester?)

Anyways, it's kind of frightening to think what it might have been called!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
yello said:
He presumably flattened the Eccles cake? (Isn't Eccles a town, near Manchester?)

Anyways, it's kind of frightening to think what it might have been called!

culo torta!!!!!

garibaldi.jpg

Top Bottom