Can you speak any language/s

Can you speak any language/s other than English :?:

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Andy in Sig said:
Linguistics already has the indications of what is likely to happen. First you need to understand what happens with pidgins. A pidgin is a sort of mongrel language which typically emerges where speakers of two or more languages who do not know each others languages have to communicate e.g. traders in seaports. Pidgins have extremely primitive grammar and a limited vocabulary.

If children are raised in the pidgin as their mother tongue they will, in one generation, give it all the characteristics of a full blown language: syntax, more vocabulary etc i.e. a new, true language will be born.

Now clearly Cornish is known in a much more complete version than any pidgin but for some time no native speakers have been born. If Cornish kids are raised with Cornish as their native tongue or if they are raised as genuine Cornish/English bilinguals, they will, in a similar process to the that of the pidgins, fill in all the gaps of the language and make it complete. I imagine thought that it would have significant differences to previous versions of Cornish which is sort of inevitable given the temporal gap in the existence of native speakers.

Feck me. You and Chomsky on the same page. Amazing.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
mangaman said:
Sorry about the late reply - I've been out sourcing cheese and Cornish caves all day

I've bought 24 tonnes of crappy cheddar

That's a great idea - I wonder if you'd care to join our organisation (in the marketting area, obviously aiming at the crucial German market)

Cheers

Mangaman
c/o Cornish Puddleglum plc ™
purveyors of taditional Cornish cheeses since 1765

I shall be happy to accept your offer of a job - I don't have any experience in marketing, but this doesn't seem to stop anybody else, and will try to get the Germans to eat real cheese.
I've already thought of my first advertising slogan "Cornish puddleglum - the world's first unleaded cheese".

U

User169

Uncle Mort said:
That's very good! The café down the road has rabbit cooked in Geuze beer followed by lemon curd tart for €10 as the lunch special today. No starter though, and no wine, just a beer (Stella :ohmy: ).

So they use the Geuze for cooking and then expect you to drink stella - I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Unkraut said:
Arch - here is your French homework. Translate into French:

What are the three rings of marriage?

Engagement ring
Wedding ring
Suffering.

Qu'est que c'est les trois bagues de mariage?

La bague de fiancailles
L'alliance
Souffrances.

Doesn't quite work as a pun in French...

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
post modern irony?:biggrin:

No really! Like what we call a Danish Pastry is actually a Viennese pastry, in Denmark.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
Its like French kiss and Glasgow kiss... I understand those are a little different. ..

Don't forget the Italian kiss. Like a French kiss, but a little bit further south...

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Arch said:
Qu'est que c'est les trois bagues de mariage?

La bague de fiancailles
L'alliance
Souffrances.

Doesn't quite work as a pun in French...

True, but it does have a certain je ne sais quoi ;)

Top Bottom