Cant sleep :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just finished work and am suffering the same. Desperately tired but adrenaline keeping me awake.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Having been suffering from stress since February I can give some tips.

You need 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I used to have 4 hours. But there is no skipping this, you need 7-8 hours every night. Even if it means missing your favourite TV programme. Record it.

Can you go from 4 hours sleep to 8 hours sleep? Yes you can, I did.

An hour before you go to bed, turn the TV off, turn the PC off and do something relaxing. Go for a walk, read. I often do a jigsaw. Bought for just this reason. Go to the toilet before going to bed. Thats what wakes most of us up in the night. Dont drink coffee 2 hours before going to bed.

When you go to bed try to get to sleep within 20 minutes. As you lay there think of the parts of your body you are relaxing. If you cannot get to sleep within 20 minutes get up and read until you feel drowsy, then go back to bed. If you wake up in the night get up and read for thirty minutes and then go back to bed,

Its not easy at first if you have been a bad sleeper like me. Quite quickly your body gets into the routine, but you need to train it.

If you cant sleep do not stay in bed for more than 20 minutes. That will train your mind to think that a bed is not the place to sleep. Get up and read. But read something pleasant. Not violent or confrontational.

I have been doing this since February and sleep 7-8 hours every night and feel much better.

The hardest thing was missing TV but in all honestly, most of what we watch is rubbish. I was a bad sleeper for years. But a couple of months of practice has changed that.

I hope someone will put these words into practice as they cost me £100 an hour.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Having been suffering from stress since February I can give some tips.

You need 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I used to have 4 hours. But there is no skipping this, you need 7-8 hours every night. Even if it means missing your favourite TV programme. Record it.

Can you go from 4 hours sleep to 8 hours sleep? Yes you can, I did.

An hour before you go to bed, turn the TV off, turn the PC off and do something relaxing. Go for a walk, read. I often do a jigsaw. Bought for just this reason. Go to the toilet before going to bed. Thats what wakes most of us up in the night. Dont drink coffee 2 hours before going to bed.

When you go to bed try to get to sleep within 20 minutes. As you lay there think of the parts of your body you are relaxing. If you cannot get to sleep within 20 minutes get up and read until you feel drowsy, then go back to bed. If you wake up in the night get up and read for thirty minutes and then go back to bed,

Its not easy at first if you have been a bad sleeper like me. Quite quickly your body gets into the routine, but you need to train it.

If you cant sleep do not stay in bed for more than 20 minutes. That will train your mind to think that a bed is not the place to sleep. Get up and read. But read something pleasant. Not violent or confrontational.

I have been doing this since February and sleep 7-8 hours every night and feel much better.

The hardest thing was missing TV but in all honestly, most of what we watch is rubbish. I was a bad sleeper for years. But a couple of months of practice has changed that.

I hope someone will put these words into practice as they cost me £100 an hour.

Watch tv ?
I watch maybe 3- 4 hours programs all week , my priority is way below wife and kids ................... thats why im on here ;) .

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
It can be very hard when you get in from work late after a busy day and you need to be back up and out for work again in less than 8hrs. Years of doing this completly cock up your sleep patterns. There is no time to wind down as you are trying to get maximun shut eye in what probably amounts to 5-6hrs.

I actually zonked out shortly after posting! My shifts are not the best for regular sleep patterns. 2 early shift 2 lates shift 2 night shifts.
Earlies are 7am-4pm unless Friday or Saturday then they are 7am-5pm.
Lates are 3pm - midnight unless Fridayand Saturday then 5pm -3am nights are 10pm-7am. Them 4 days off,first one sleeping.
Been doing shifts for 24 years now, doesn't get any easier!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I actually zonked out shortly after posting! My shifts are not the best for regular sleep patterns. 2 early shift 2 lates shift 2 night shifts.
Earlies are 7am-4pm unless Friday or Saturday then they are 7am-5pm.
Lates are 3pm - midnight unless Fridayand Saturday then 5pm -3am nights are 10pm-7am. Them 4 days off,first one sleeping.
Been doing shifts for 24 years now, doesn't get any easier!
I don't do shifts i do start at time then finish when the job is done and if something happens whilst i'm there there i probably won't go home that day. Actually as of last December i stopped doing that or rather my Dr stopped me and i had 6mths off after being diagnosed with chronic fatigue. I started going back to work on a phased return last week.
27 odd years, only 2 to go :hyper:

Top Bottom