Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Fair enough SD
Never really looked at it from that point though and tbh I hit my spend limit on this(Or should I say what the Mrs said I could spend :blush:)

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Nice minus the pedals

Get some carbon 105s or ultegra:thumbsup:

Well took the plunge and splashed out on some very nice Shimano SPD SL 6700 Ultegra Carbon Pedals and a pair of SIDI Genuis 5 shoes
null_zps8ae5debc.jpg

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Make sure you protect the Di2 battery. The battery is in a really stupid place down by the chain stays where it can/does/will get wet and have muck from the road thrown up at it. I have addressed and advised on Di2 issues related to the battery placement on a number of Canyons.
Wrap the battery in cling film or a condom for added protection and dry it soon as you can if it gets wet.

Cool bike though

Reactions: 2wd

redcard

Veteran
It looks like the 10 speed, so it clips to the front brake cable. Only the 11 speed clips on under the stem.
Clipping the 10 speed junction box to the stem causes problems.

Mine is 10 speed and clips under the stem. What problems?

Mr Haematocrit

If you clip to the stem, you can prevent the wires from being able to move freely as the junction box is rigid. The symptoms are that the connections inside the box come unattached over time. Shimano will not apparently warranty replace a junction box they believe has been mounted in this way (not tried to RMA a junction box myself, just one of those things I have learnt talking to other Di2 enthusiasts) its also why the design for the 11 speed was changed to address this issue.

ziggys101

Über Member
Make sure you protect the Di2 battery. The battery is in a really stupid place down by the chain stays where it can/does/will get wet and have muck from the road thrown up at it. I have addressed and advised on Di2 issues related to the battery placement on a number of Canyons.
Wrap the battery in cling film or a condom for added protection and dry it soon as you can if it gets wet.

Cool bike though

Rode the last year in all weather through last winter as well with no issue with the battery placing on the chainstay. Its IP67 rated so in theory will survive being submerged in 0.5m of water for 30 mins. Have you seen many problems? or I'm I just lucky?

Mr Haematocrit

Rode the last year in all weather through last winter as well with no issue with the battery placing on the chainstay. Its IP67 rated so in theory will survive being submerged in 0.5m of water for 30 mins. Have you seen many problems? or I'm I just lucky?

I have assisted with two issues on Canyons myself and am aware of more from other Di2 enthusiasts. I have also seen issues caused by damp/wet/mucky exterior batteries on other brands so its not exclusive to these bikes. The placement selected by Canyon just puts it in the line of fire so to speak as the muck thrown up from the road which used to cover the chain stays now covers the battery. (Which I personally don't like)
Typically issues such as these are typically seen on older bikes, there is a theory that removing and replacing the battery over time wears or loosens the connection between the battery and mount which permits water to get down the side. I'm unable to confirm if this is the case, its just what some people believe.
All I can confirm is that at this time is that I'm starting to see an increase in issues related to externally mounted battery's on older bikes.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that you should expect issues, or have been lucky.. its just something I'm aware of so shared with the world. I am equally unable to state exactly what is causing the issue (other than the battery/mount)
Other than going internal battery the most advise I can offer is to say, it does not hurt to protect it and its cheaper than a battery.

BTW.. Some people suggest a bit of tape where the battery joins the mount sorts the issue, but I'm more paranoid than that.. lol

Jez69

Hi 2wd, how are you getting on with the Aeroad? I'm still umming and rring about an SL or an Aeroad. The Aeroad seems to appeal to the eye but I'm a bit concerned it will be too extreme and I know I don't have the legs to justify the Aero benefits.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Hi Jez

I'm loving the Aeroad
It's easy to live with and ride
I was also worried about it being to extreme but I find it fine
I'm 51 and every bit helps
I also think if your paying out your hard earned money it should please your eye
Basically don't worry and if you want one buy one:smile:

Top Bottom