Carbon, myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Hi, looking to get an N+1 and all the bikes I'm looking at come with carbon forks. The bike will be stored outside under a tarpaulin so will be exposed to cold and a little damp air. The steel bikes I already own have coped perfectly well with this.

My question is, is this kind of storage really likely to cause a problem for carbon forks?

(As an aside I live in the South West so perhaps don't see as many frosts as those further north.)

Citius

aircraft - carbon wings, boats - carbon hulls - let's leave it at that.

Citius

even without comparisons to aviation or marine grade composites which are made to an entirely different level of environmental tolerance.

and yet the fundamental principles of carbon fibre lay-up and manufacture remain the same....

Drago

Legendary Member
Sea water isn't kind to certain grades of epoxy used in composite manufacture, but unless BoB lives on a beach or goes sea fishing on his bike I can't see that being a major concern.
and yet the fundamental principles of carbon fibre lay-up and manufacture remain the same....

That's broadly speaking correct, but not entirely. A generalisation, one might say.

And yet the materials and their resistance to environmental influences do not remain the same, and can differ quite widely in their ability to handle short and long term exposure to heat, cold, different wavelengths of light and chemicals.

Nevertheless, I don't think BoB need be concerned.

Last edited:

Citius

And yet the materials and their resistance to environmental influences do.not remain the same, and can differ quite widely in their ability to handle heat, cold, different wavelengths of light and chemicals.

Not sure what point you are making, unless you are simply trying to state the obvious. There are different grades of CF, in the same way as there are different grades of steel, aluminium and titanium. Apparently there are even different types of wood....

upload_2016-2-8_22-54-22.png

Speaking of front ends, help me with something. What is this in the picture?

Top Bottom