Carrera zelos road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
Looks nice mate. I've got a Carrera (older Vanquish) no complaints with mine.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For the price its brilliant. It will get you started and you can upgrade the various bits as you go, like the tyres. Don't forget to buy a helmet.

Raging Squirrel

i'm gonna be the first one to say don't bother and get a B'Twin Triban 3 for the same price. The Carrera is alright but it doesnt look anywhere near as good as the Triban, plus you get carbon forks with it. I looked at the exact same bike as this one and it took me literally about 2 minutes to decide the Triban was better

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i'm gonna be the first one to say don't bother and get a B'Twin Triban 3 for the same price. The Carrera is alright but it doesnt look anywhere near as good as the Triban, plus you get carbon forks with it. I looked at the exact same bike as this one and it took me literally about 2 minutes to decide the Triban was better
The triban 3 is being replaced with the 3a , not sure if its a carbon fork still but it will still have 2300 shifters that are 16 speed rather than 14.
Imho 7 speeds ok but you could be limited for upgrade potential as the wheel will not be able to run more gears whereas a wheel that takes 8 can takes 9 or 10 as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Shame it's black :whistle:

Looks like the OP bought it and is happy (presumably), may be too late for a Triban purchase

Chriswas

I've had one of these for 4 months now and after 500 miles the only problems I've had are a faulty valve and out of true wheels.

Everything else works great, and it has been a perfect bike to get me into cycling.

I am now however thinking of upgrading the tyres and maybe the wheels. Can anyone recommend any to me. I'm looking to spend very little on gear to get me through to next spring when I'm planning to upgrade the whole bike.

With regard to wheels, I'm unsure which I will need, as my cassette had 7 cogs but most of the wheels seem to quote 8,9or10 speed.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Upgrading the tyres is a good idea. Now you have asked the question the floodgates will open! Everyone has their own ideas about tyres and you will get lots of conflicting advise. I should just get some budget premier brand ones like Vittoria Zaffiros (currently £8 @ Wiggle) or similar and put the money saved towards new wheels. You will need a 7 speed hub but an 8 may be persuaded to fit. Good to hear the bike has done you well.

GlenBen

Über Member
I do like how the description on the website marks its alloy suspension fork as a top selling point.
Never seen a road bike with one of those before.

I've had one of these for 4 months now and after 500 miles the only problems I've had are a faulty valve and out of true wheels.

Everything else works great, and it has been a perfect bike to get me into cycling.

I am now however thinking of upgrading the tyres and maybe the wheels. Can anyone recommend any to me. I'm looking to spend very little on gear to get me through to next spring when I'm planning to upgrade the whole bike.

With regard to wheels, I'm unsure which I will need, as my cassette had 7 cogs but most of the wheels seem to quote 8,9or10 speed.

For me thats a bit like saying "I have been on the Titanic now for 2000 miles and the only problem I had was a bit of a leak."

My point is that bit of a leak was catastrophic. If your wheels are out of true after "only 500 miles" then how are they gonna be after another 500 or even 1000 miles. Upgrade the wheels as you said, tyres generally come with em. DONT GET ALEX RIMS tho. They were knackered after 1200 miles although they were still true, which says a lot for your wheels.

sreten

Hi,

Its not a bad bike for £270 but upgrading wheels to get to Spring is very pointless.

My bike cost less than half that and I had no real problem truing the wheels to
be better and checking and evening spoke tensions somewhat. Best to go
with fix the worst, don't be too precious. They do ride better, more evenly.

Tyres I wouldn't think twice about changing 23mm tyres. 28mm if they
will fit, or just better 25mm tyres, put the originals back on to move it on.

rgds, sreten.

Top Bottom