CC Ecosse goes South ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I would draw attention to this thread, concerning Shaun (the Admin - aka Mr CycleChat, the man who set up and runs the whole thing), who has a SIGNIFICANT Birthday, being celebrated with a ride from York.

At the first October CC Scotland ride, I floated the idea of some of us going down to join this ride, to show our appreciation for what Shaun has created, to meet some of the southern CCers and to have a week-end away from the Scottish weather. There was some interest expressed, so if anyone is thinking of going, read on ;).

The date for the ride is SUNDAY 15 NOVEMBER, starting about 10.00am. It's a 2hrs 30 train ride from Embra (3.45 from Glesga), so, with a finish about 4.00pm, we should be able to get a train to get us back in reasonable time to cycle home in the dark.

Apparently, if we get a train run by National Express East Coast, they have a luggage van which can take loads of bikes :biggrin:. Fares from Embra around £34 each way. Not sure about details from the West - but I'm sure you are all more than capable of digging out the info :tongue:.

In the thread, I asked about accommodation and there are Youth Hostel, B & B, Travelodge-type - even 4* hotels for HJ :bravo:.

Any takers ???

This is the new thread. ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ops did see the new thread before posting on the old one. Not sure that Travelodge have cycle facilities...

Arch

Married to Night Train
With regard to accommodation, York has it all, and fortunately the 15th doesn't clash with the St Nicholas Fair, when York is heaving (locals just try not to go out!) There is ready cycle access to the middle of town from pretty much all areas. I'm not really up on which B and Bs are best - living here one doesn't really need them.

If anyone is coming the night before and wants to meet up with me or as many of the York posse as we can round up for a drink/meal, I can suggest options (I can suggest them even if you don't want to meet up with any of us!)

It would be great to see some of the Ecosse lot, or indeed anyone who fancies a trip to York. We'll plan the ride a bit ad hoc, depending on the weather, rest assured we know plenty of cafes.

gavintc

Guru
Aperitif said:
When this thread said 'South' - I thought we were talking 'Mouseketeer South'...:biggrin:

I lived for a couple of years in East Yorkshire and used to annoy the people I worked with by calling them southerners. :biggrin: It always got a reaction.

scook94

Veteran
I'm a definite maybe for this one. Need to look into cycle friendly hotels first. Will probably be driving down though...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
scook94 said:
I'm a definite maybe for this one. Need to look into cycle friendly hotels first. Will probably be driving down though...

Hi Scook94, in case you don't know ... I recently found out that the train takes only 2.5 hours to York, whereas it's 4 hours by car (from Edinburgh):angry:

I just checked bike space availability on the East Coast trains website, got a best deal of £45 p/p, dep Edinburgh 1pm Sat, dep York 6pm Sun, and there were definitely at least 4 bike spaces available (5 min ago anyway), in both directions.
:smile:

While on http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/, I just spotted a £9 deal per leg during Nov/Dec, will investigate that too. UPDATE: they are only available for travel after 19 Nov.

T

scook94

Veteran
Telemark said:
Hi Scook94, in case you don't know ... I recently found out that the train takes only 2.5 hours to York, whereas it's 4 hours by car (from Edinburgh):laugh:

I just checked bike space availability on the East Coast trains website, got a best deal of £45 p/p, dep Edinburgh 1pm Sat, dep York 6pm Sun, and there were definitely at least 4 bike spaces available (5 min ago anyway), in both directions.
:smile:

While on http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/, I just spotted a £9 deal per leg during Nov/Dec, will investigate that too. UPDATE: they are only available for travel after 19 Nov.

T

Yup, but I need to get to Embra first! It's also approx 4 hours from Stirling to York, so all in I don't think I'd be saving much on travel time.

Have you looked at hotels yet?

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My participation is now, unfortunately, looking very dodgy :sad:. MiL is having a wee op on the Thursday, so son will not be able to go to his Grandparents for the w/e, so I will need to 'teensit' - and we might just have to watch the rugby :blush:.

Nevertheless, I really would like to encourage some to go, to show the CC Ecosse appreciation :cheers: of what Shaun ;) has achieved. After all, if it weren't [see sig ;)] for him, we wouldn't even be here discussing this B).

Anyone from the (wild) west able to go ? Otherwise, it looks like it might be HJ, Telemark and Scook94 - sterling representatives, I would suggest :laugh:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:
Looks like I'm out too. :biggrin:
AAAARRGGHHHH !

Telemark is to go to the Nederlands, HJ is unlikely ... = no one can go :smile: :biggrin:

Well, I thought it was a good idea ....... :tongue:

[crawls back into his subterranean den]

scook94

Veteran
scoosh said:
AAAARRGGHHHH !

Telemark is to go to the Nederlands, HJ is unlikely ... = no one can go :smile: :biggrin:

Well, I thought it was a good idea ....... :biggrin:

[crawls back into his subterranean den]

It was... :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well it's a shame but sounds like it can't be helped.

Let's vow, here and now, to have a Yorks/Scot/anyone get together in the new year, or when the days get a bit longer and we can guarantee a ride of a length to justify the long trip.

We'll raise a cuppa to you all....

Top Bottom