certianly eventful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thompson

Just a quick 25 miler today with a guy I know. All was fine till I got a front wheel puncture. I'm not joking, it took forever! The wheel rims are incredibly deep and after four levers and a snapped lever we finally got it off after atleast 20 minutes. I had one of those slime puncture resistant tyres in so we left a load of slime all over the pavement as I had no bag to keep it off my stuff. Ah well. We even saw a guy dressed as a cat/devil climb in his car. Not sure what was going on there. We set off again and it was incredibly boggy going along the old train lines very slippy too with slicks on. We stopped near Seaham on the coast for a hot drink and after a couple of minutes there's a loud bang on the window (we were sat outside near said window) we look round and this bloke is shouting something. Quite confused we ignore it, untill he comes out and starts mouthing off at this other bloke, saying 'ive already been barred three times!'. Amongst other drunk ramblings. Baring in mind it was about 10:00 when we stopped. As the tensions rose they started getting more angry we were expecting a drunken fist fight. Watching in anticipation of a good juicy fight we are surprised further when they then start hugging. Quite odd.

After the hot drinks we set off again after being sprayed by mud and the guy I was with standing a mixture of dog and horse poo, sliding everywhere and climbing up very steep stairs in a forest. We got another puncture, we were very close to home and it was the guys back wheel. After fixing it, in a much quicker time than mine, we set off. Got about 10 yards and it was flat again. We knew we had removed the problem as it was a mahoosive bit of glass. Something wrong with the patch probably. We thought that as we are so close to home and it being mostly downhill he would just push through it. e spent about 15 minutes trying to cross the road as the entire population seemed to be going through Peterlee. I split off up a short climb then down again home and the guy went straight ahead with a nice roll home with a flat wheel. I later found out that just at the start of his street they tyre came out the rim. So close to making it home yet so far.

Good mucky slippy fast ride with a mini race in the middle with a randomer who overtook us then got no further ahead of us. So the guy decided he wanted to catch him up, overtake and 'win the race'. As he did.

That's all that happened really, certainly eventful. :smile:

Top Bottom