Chain cleaning cassette gizmoey thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Does anyone use one of those chain cleaning cassettes. The ones where you attach it to the chain and add cleaning fluid and whizz it around.

I would like to know if they are effective and are they any cleaner that the brush and rag method.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't have one. I attach a rag to my right hand and whizz it round.

pclay

Veteran
I had the muc off one that is attached to the aerosol can of cleaner. These days I use a rag with a bit of white spirit and a pipe cleaner to get between the links.

arch684

Veteran
I got one from aldi used it once it cleaned the chain but I just use a rag it's much quicker

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ive always used rags, brushes and a bit of petroleum and it has always worked.

But you see these things in the LBS and wonder if they will make life a bit easier.

There is a lot of satifaction in getting a bike chain, cleaned and oiled.

I need to get a life.

Messy, unnecessary and less effective than having a good old Mickle IME.

screenman

Legendary Member
I use it on the MTB when it has had a hard off road ride, other than that a rag on the rest of the bikes.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had the muc off one that is attached to the aerosol can of cleaner. These days I use a rag with a bit of white spirit and a pipe cleaner to get between the links.
I have one of these too. It was a freebie when I bought a double pack of the muc off fluid stuff. Used it once, it sort of works but then you have to clean the chain with a rag to get off all the excess squirty stuff. Faster to just clean it with a rag in the first place I reckon.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use mine on the tourer, after I've been away for a week the chain can be very mucky and its easier than taking it off and washing it in paraffin (My old cleaning method) but I don't use it on a regular basis, rag 'n' oil is my normal regime. Its good to have one for when you need it :biggrin:

stephec

Legendary Member
I use one, it cleans the chain up pretty good, gets all the loose bits of dirt and grime off instead of just pushing them down into the chain rivets. Few sprays with a water repellent, to squeeze out the left over droplets and then hit it with some lube. Jobs a good un
Same here.

Top Bottom