Chains - Any harm in using a 105 chain with an Ultegra groupset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I'm looking to replace the chain on my 11 gear Ultegra groupset, On the Chainreactioncycles website they are selling an 11 speed Ultegra chain for £24.99 (here), and an 11 speed 105 chain for £12.49 (here).

Would I notice any difference if I saved a few quid and went for the 105 chain?

No, they are interchangeable.

Some people prefer KMC. I haven't got enough experience to say.

JMAG

Über Member
@jefmcg why does it heat up?

I'm thinking of replacing my 9 speed Sora RD with an 11 speed 105 RD and wonder whether it would work with my existing 8 speed chain and 9 speed cassette. I already have a 105 FD although I'm guessing chain width isn't as critical on a FD compared to a RD.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Just checked: I've currently got a tiagra cassette paired with an ultegra chain. Obviously it does heat up a bit, but I don't think it's likely to burst into flames.

I do carry an fire blanket, just in case.

I put a sram chain on a shimano groupset once, it made the local papers, four fire engines and the police helicopter.

They said They could save me because it was my alloy bike, if it had been the carbon one....

@jefmcg why does it heat up?
My weird sense of humour. I just liked the idea that the friction between the different qualities could be dangerous
I'm thinking of replacing my 9 speed Sora RD with an 11 speed 105 RD and wonder whether it would work with my existing 8 speed chain and 9 speed cassette. I already have a 105 FD although I'm guessing chain width isn't as critical on a FD compared to a RD.[/USER]

You want an 8 speed chain, 9 speed cassette and 11 speed RD? That sounds crazy. Why would you do that?

When the chain and cassette wear out, replace all 3.

No harm at all, as long as the chain pins are the same ( ie 10 speed chain with 10 speed set up, 11 with 11, or 11 with 10)

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It causes a disturbance in the force, which manifests itself as heat in the offending components. Jefmcg is quite right. Had he continued riding, it would have created a time vortex and opened up a worm hole to the other side of the universe. Who knows what could have happened at that point.
Higgs Boson. CERN were looking in the wrong place

JMAG

Über Member
You want an 8 speed chain, 9 speed cassette and 11 speed RD? That sounds crazy. Why would you do that?

When the chain and cassette wear out, replace all 3.

Sorry, error on my part, the whole groupset is old 8 speed Shimano 2300. The chain and cassette are quite new so won't wear out for a while. I changed the frame a few weeks ago and the old FD wouldn't fit so I got a 105 FD because it was cheap and I knew that should work.

The RD is getting on a bit and needs new jockey wheels, but 105 RD's are cheap so I wondered if it would work. I'm thinking along the lines of a gradual upgrade to 105 leaving the shifters, chain and cassette until last.

sidevalve

Über Member
It causes a disturbance in the force, which manifests itself as heat in the offending components. Jefmcg is quite right. Had he continued riding, it would have created a time vortex and opened up a worm hole to the other side of the universe. Who knows what could have happened at that point.
I just thought it might be due to a rift in space time caused by excessive speed. Warp bubbles are fragile things - you could end up anywhere in the galaxy [Dawes of course].

Top Bottom