Chainstay frame crack on a steel Woodrup frame: advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A couple of days ago I picked up a late 1970's Woodrup I'd bought via eBay. Today I got the chance to give it a check-over and, under a layer of dirt, found what is a chainstay hole with a crack that goes around most of the drive-side chainstay.

I doubt the seller would have known about it; this was hidden under a layer of oil and dirt underneath the crankset and it wasn't their bike.

PXL_20240421_145448370.jpg

PXL_20240421_145501365.jpg

Is this weld-able? If so, any suggestions please? The likelihood is I won't now be keeping the frameset, but others may be interested and I'd like to consider repair options.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I had a similar crack on a Proflex Attack chainstay (full suspension bike) donkeys years ago.
Atlantic Boulevard in bury welded it and patched over it. I raced that same bike plenty of times afterwards with no issues. It was about £90 20 odd years ago. Nowadays? £Billions probably. It can be saved though.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Woodrupts would be able to give you a price for the repair.
You could return it to the seller from Ebay. They will have to give you a refund.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The hole is the issue not the crack … I would expect the hole is a result of internal corrosion and the crack is a result of that corrosion … Choices .. treat the internal corrosion chemically and have an external “patch” brazed in place … which should last … but what is the condition of the other tubes internally ?
Frankly … the risk is very high … scrap it or return for refund .. morally , if you return it the vendor may realist it full of filler ….
Best result, get a 50% refund and saw the frame into bits and recycle the steel ….. I would …. Just to take it out of use …

Jameshow

Veteran
Oh no...

Looks like the chain has rubbed into the chain stay.

The only real repair is a replacement chainstay, do able, but not cheap I expect £100+ paint....

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'd consider selling it as it is for someone else to have it repaired, rather than investing lots of time and energy yourself to end up with a frame that will raise doubts in a buyer's mind.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd question the efficacy of attempting to repair that crack with a weld (depending on wall thickness / material / welder competency); IMO that warrants a replacement stay which is probably going to cost more than the frame is worth.

Since you don't plan on keeping it and seem to be satisfied with the purchase, worth punting it on for a nominal sum with full disclosure so that the new owner can sort it as they see fit..?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That looks like the result of dropping the chain a few times and not being careful about unjamming it. The crack has spread from the weakened area. Any decent frame-builder should be able to give you an opinion as to whether the rest of the frame is sound and is worth repairing.

Top Bottom