charity fund raising......is it hard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Have been offered a place in the london marathon by 'help for hospices'.

Have never had to raise money before but reckon i could get 2k from sponsorship and donations. Am i being wildly optomistic?

andy.

longers

Legendary Member
A friend of mine has done it for two years running (no pun intended) and is planning on doing it again next year. If he can do it - you can!

I can get some advice from him if you like, but I'm sure the fine people on here will have just as many good ideas.

Mr Pig

You need to be quite pushy. You're not asking for yourself so go for it. Try to get big sponsors first then use them to push other people into giving similar amounts. I would ask for much from people who I know need their cash but I'll happily be quite cheeky with folk who are loaded.

It never fails to amaze me how tight people can be. Sometimes it seems that the more people have the more they want to hang on to it. 2K is a lot, I hope you get it :0)

TVC

I back up what Mr Pig said. If you have a sponsorship form then go to generous people first, I find most peeps take the cue as to what to pledge from what they see others giving. Try to get your company involved as well, a collegue of mine got the company to agree to give £250 if he raised £500 from his workmates. Knowing that the boss was going to stump up, we all got generous and made sure he hit his target.

It can be done - you can even do more than that. Just beware the people that pledge, but don't pay. Use an online donation page where possible - saves you the hassle of chasing them up. Encourage people to pay when they pledge, as long as you are sure you'll do it. If there is a reason why you are doing it for hospices, let people know. It personalises things and inspires more people to support you. Good luck.
Stig

bonj2

a mate got me involved in a charity bike ride, for which you have to get sponsorship. I was determined i wasn't going to pressure people, as I have a bit of an ethical problem with 'sponsorship', but wanted to do the ride so decided to do it anyway.
My problem is that all the charities are simply doing is getting people's friends and colleagues to ask them for money rather than asking them for the money themselves, on the grounds that if it's someone you know asking and you think someone you know would be grateful if you obliged, and might feel bad if you didn't, then they're more likely to cough up. A bit of emotional blackmail sort of.
The charity ride I've signed up suggests a target of £100, but it doesn't look like i'm going to get that. But i've checked that you can still do it even if you don't reach the target so it's ok.

I managed to raise £1500 just from publicising my event in my workplace, local press, and amongst my family and friends. I used justgiving but also had a sponsorship form, which I'm getting round to collecting (takes a while though).

Mr Pig

Last years Pedal For Scotland my mate's boss gave him £100. My boss gave me £10 ...

buggi

Bird Saviour
yea, get a justgiving online account and then they cough up as they pledge, so it takes the hassle out.

when i did London to Paris last year i got my target no problem... and more, but this year i found it much harder (spose everyone thought it wasn't a challenge to me anymore until i broke the collar bone and then the donations came in)

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

buggi said:
yea, get a justgiving online account and then they cough up as they pledge, so it takes the hassle out.

when i did London to Paris last year i got my target no problem... and more, but this year i found it much harder (spose everyone thought it wasn't a challenge to me anymore until i broke the collar bone and then the donations came in)

jesus, do i have to break my collar bone??? What about a finger?

Top Bottom