Charity LEJOG rider killed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i heard about this yesterday as my bosses boss was involved in the event. its such a shame RIP.

Crankarm

Guru
Tragic. LandsEndJohnO'Groats is fast becoming LERIP.

Perhaps a dedicated separate cycle path all the way is what is now needed as so many cyclists now ride this journey and ride for charity. Come on David Cameron pull your finger out your …………...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A 77-year-old driver has admitted making a series of mistakes which caused the death of a mother-of-two taking part in a charity cycle ride.

Kenneth McClelland overtook without making proper checks and collided with Sally Preece who was coming the other way on her bike, a court heard.

Ms Preece, from Cheltenham in Gloucestershire, died of her injuries the following day.

The crash happened on 12 September 2014 on the A85 near Killin, Stirling.

The 49-year-old cyclist was a week into a nine-day Land's-End-to-John-O'Groats cycle to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society.

At Stirling Sheriff Court, McClelland, from Largs in Ayrshire, admitted causing her death by careless driving.

He admitted he had "failed to maintain proper observations, overtook when it was not safe to do so, entered into the opposing carriageway and struck Mrs Preece, who was travelling on a pedal cycle, whereby she sustained serious and fatal injuries".

Prosecutor Claire Bremner produced victim impact statements from Mrs Preece's family, which were handed in writing to the sheriff.

The court heard McClelland had no previous motoring convictions.

Sheriff William Gilchrist deferred sentence, and bailed McClelland to re-appear later this month.

He told him: "Reports are inevitable in a case such as this. You are to co-operate in the preparation of a criminal justice social work report by attending an interview with a social worker."
From the BBC NEWS website.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It sounds like his licence should have been revoked some time ago. He will almost certainly get a lifetime ban now.

Its difficult to come up with a fitting sentence for this case, IMO.

I know he killed this lady by his driving. But is justice served by giving him 10 years, which could well be the rest of his life? I dont think so. I, glad I dont have to make the decision.

It may be that careless is the appropriate charge in this case. At 77, it's that this terrible tragedy was the first time he really knew hew was no longer safe to drive. It seems that as drivers skills fail, so does their facility for noticing it. Let's wait and see what "narrative" (http://news.stv.tv/tayside/1334703-...-causing-death-of-mother-doing-charity-cycle/) is produced. I have no idea of the Scottish legal system, so I don't even know what that might involve

Edit (thank you google)
9.1 It has become common in recent years in the High Court for the Crown to present a written version of the narration of agreed facts before sentencing, following the acceptance of a plea of guilty where no evidence has been led. The narrative puts the offences in context and provides the court with information regarding the gravity of the offences and any mitigating factors.

9.2 Although the provision of written narrations is less common at sheriff court level, these are nonetheless considered useful, particularly following the acceptance of a s.76 letter from the accused or where a first diet court produces a significant number of pleas prior to trial. It has been suggested that this practice is introduced as routine for all sheriff court solemn cases.

She was raising money for Alzheimer's research? That may prove to be a tragic irony.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, justice is served. A, his age should make not one whit of difference to the sentence, and B, while he's locked up the public are safe from him.

Top Bottom