Charlie Alliston case - fixie rider accused of causing pedestrian death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'll expand. The only way to guarantee to avoid the tragic consequences of the so-called "unlucky punch" is not to throw it in the first place.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It seems crazy that any bike manufacture could make & sell track framesets that were not drilled for a front brake. Even if the intention is initially just for the track, I can't imagine many scenarios where track bikes don't end up being sold off and used on the road when they come to the end of their track life.

As I ride TT's mostly on fixed, I have been looking for an aero track frameset with a front brake drilling for a long time, but they just don't seem to exist.

But, my google friend has just spotted this dia compe brake for a non drilled fork:-
http://www.velodromeshop.net/track-bike-brakesets/dia-compe-track-bike-front-brake/

Has anybody used one?
It could open up my options for frames in my price range.
I researched those a while ago. The conditions under which they fit are quite strict.
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...roduct/review-dia-compe-track-brake-10-39409/

Buddfox

Veteran
I find this very hard to believe. I reckon I have seen fewer than 10 fixed wheel bikes, without any second brake, in about the same number of years that I have been working in central London.

Really? I see them most days. Genuinely surprised that we have such different experiences.

albion

Guru
Reactions: mjr
I see her widower is continuing his anti cyclist campaign this morning. I wonder if he'll be acknowledging the responsibilities of pedestrians to look what's coming before stepping out in front of traffic.

J1888

Über Member
What utter farkwits the Govt and Jesse Norman are.

Cyclists should be on their case thoughout this.

User269

According to the BBC news website this morning, regarding proposals to change the law;

"Announcing the move, the government said there had been a "series of high-profile incidents" involving cyclists and that in 2015, two pedestrians had been killed and 96 seriously injured after being hit by a bicycle."

I hope you will all, like me, write to your MP pointing out that it's high time the law was changed to address the fact that each year around 400 pedestrians are killed by cars, and 5000 seriously injured.

I hope you will all, like me, write to your MP pointing out that it's high time the law was changed to address the fact that each year around 400 pedestrians are killed by cars, and 5000 seriously injured.

upload_2017-9-21_7-33-9.png

Jimidh

Veteran
I heard Jesse Norman this morning and thought that he was very balanced saying this was only part of a review that was would also have a remit to look at the safety of cyclists and he pointed out the number of cyclists killed and injured in comparison to peds injured by cyclists.

The BBC headlines make this sound anti-cyclist though.

oldstrath

Über Member
I heard Jesse Norman this morning and thought that he was very balanced saying this was only part of a review that was would also have a remit to look at the safety of cyclists and he pointed out the number of cyclists killed and injured in comparison to peds injured by cyclists.

The BBC headlines make this sound anti-cyclist though.
You really think it won't be anti cycling? Come on, the whole thing is driven by the right wing press, taunts such as Adam Bolton, and the Briggs anti cycling campaign. Jesse Norman's job will be to appease them by restricting cycling.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You really think it won't be anti cycling? Come on, the whole thing is driven by the right wing press, taunts such as Adam Bolton, and the Briggs anti cycling campaign. Jesse Norman's job will be to appease them by restricting cycling.
The whole thing is a knee-jerk reaction to a typical UK moral-panic about a non-issue that has ignorant nobbers foaming at the mouth on social media.

"Something must be done. We need to be seen to act."

Top Bottom