Chatroom change - Opt-in now required

Shaun

Founder
The chatroom software is currently creating lots of connections to the server regardless of whether you use the chatroom or not (since it is enabled for most people by default).

The vast majority of these connections (2.5 million per week!) are going unused so I'm going to turn the chatroom/toolbar off by default and instead make the chatroom an opt-in feature.

I've created a sticky thread in the support forum - please post there to opt-in for the chatroom and I'll enable it for your account.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds sensible. Chat is a feature that I will never use, so it is a waste of resources for it to be enabled in my case. I would guess that is true for the vast majority of other CC members too. If I am wrong, then there must be thousands of members chatting away!

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Are you furtling with it Shaun, it's gorn!

Yes - I need to revert the chat permissions, so temporarily everyone will be removed from chat - then once that's complete I can start adding everyone back in who has requested it. A bit long-winded, I know, but I should have it all done by end of play today. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Ah - it has stopped that chat popup thingy appearing and disappearing at the bottom of the screen - excellent - I hadn't realised how much it was bugging me until it stopped doing it! :smile:

Death by a thousand cuts? Without that little red counter no new chatters will be enticed.

Shaun; kill it now rather than that slow painful death

No reason to keep it for the dozen or so who know it's there

ColinJ

No reason to keep it for the dozen or so who know it's there
Perhaps you could start a sister thread to Tea? I suggest the title Chat? :whistle:

To be serious for once though ... I don't understand the reason for having a chat function in the first place. Tea? has lots of regulars nattering away about nothing much in particular most of the time. Surely that's all you would do in a chat room?

It seems to me that the only reason for having a chat function is that it isn't chatting out in the open the way that forum threads are, but is done a bit more privately and I think that could lead to people gossiping about other members, or maybe even abusing them. I believe that has happened in the past? And that's why I don't like the idea of chat and do like the idea of open discussion in forum threads.

(I'm not trying to be judgemental - I just don't 'get' the idea of a separate chat function.)

lukesdad

Perhaps you could start a sister thread to Tea? I suggest the title Chat? :whistle:

To be serious for once though ... I don't understand the reason for having a chat function in the first place. Tea? has lots of regulars nattering away about nothing much in particular most of the time. Surely that's all you would do in a chat room?

It seems to me that the only reason for having a chat function is that it isn't chatting out in the open the way that forum threads are, but is done a bit more privately and I think that could lead to people gossiping about other members, or maybe even abusing them. I believe that has happened in the past? And that's why I don't like the idea of chat and do like the idea of open discussion in forum threads.

(I'm not trying to be judgemental - I just don't 'get' the idea of a separate chat function.)

The thing about chat colin is its real time, a handy place to arrange rides and events which find there way onto the forum. It s a good "sounding board" along with the good humoured banter. I think you ll find IME anyway its pretty self regulated with the odd mod popping in and a couple of ex ones as regulars.

Don't worry your name doesn't crop up..........much ! ^_^

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

Plenty of people don't get turbo trainers, but most of them aren't suggesting that there is a secret society of sweaty people all crammed into my garage plotting world domination and constantly bitching about each other.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
2,000+ people were setup for chatroom access and were polling the chatroom service every time they clicked to load a page on CC - regardless of whether they were using the chatroom or not.

Of that 2,000 only 64 ever tried the chatroom and fewer still used it with any regularity - so 98% of the allocated chatroom resources were going to waste. The overhead of delivering all those unused connections slowed CC down for everyone.

Switching it around has removed the overhead and allowed the server to get back up to speed, whilst still allowing access to the chatroom for those who want to use it.

It's win / win. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom