"Chicane-gate" and rider safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yep, dramatic slowdown and spacing of riders due to chicane

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Visma: Vingegaard has a broken collarbone and several broken ribs, but he is stable and will remain in hospital for now
I just found THIS when searching for news updates:

Vingegaard's dad said:
Seven days after Jonas Vingegaard’s crash at Itzulia Basque Country, there have been few updates from Team Visma – Lease a Bike. Claus Vingegaard, the father of the defending Tour de France champion, stated that he receives no updates from the team, according to an article in the Danish outlet Ekstra Bladet.

No word from Jonas​

“It’s really hell for us. A week after his fall, my wife and I still haven’t heard from Jonas,” Claus Vingegaard said. “We just haven’t had the chance yet to hear more. Not to hear more with Jonas, but also not with his wife and his team, Visma – Lease a Bike. I don’t know how that is possible, but there has to be a way to hear more, right?”
That doesn't sound good!

ColinJ

Vingegaard is finally out of hospital 12 days after the crash.

It was good to see photos of him standing up and smiling.

It must be unlikely though that he could recover quickly enough to get back into training and be fit for the TdF, which is only 2.5 months away?

It was good to see photos of him standing up and smiling.

I "liked" this post cos it's good to see him on the mend.

2.5 months seems a massive ask to prepare for the World's hardest and hotly contested bike race. A couple of week's lost training is no big deal, but I think the killer is the loss of conditioning from being pretty much incapacitated for 12 days. I remember how much my leg muscles withered away in a cast (many years back now, thankfully!). You can't beat nature :-/

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I "liked" this post cos it's good to see him on the mend.

2.5 months seems a massive ask to prepare for the World's hardest and hotly contested bike race. A couple of week's lost training is no big deal, but I think the killer is the loss of conditioning from being pretty much incapacitated for 12 days. I remember how much my leg muscles withered away in a cast (many years back now, thankfully!). You can't beat nature :-/

Not allowed to fly so convalescencing in Spain

ColinJ

A couple of week's lost training is no big deal, but I think the killer is the loss of conditioning from being pretty much incapacitated for 12 days. I remember how much my leg muscles withered away in a cast...
I too had experience of that kind of severe withering when I was ill in 2012. My legs ended up looking like arms - horribly scrawny!

I bet that they have done their best to keep Vinegaard moving about as much as possible though to minimise that.

albion

Guru
Worth noting that part of the reason I ceased my subsciption for receiving Eurosport was the knowledge that near every stage has at least one bad crash these days.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm always amazed by the speed with which pros recover from (or sometimes ignore) injury. But in this case it's not looking good. 12 days in hospital suggests something pretty serious.

It's all pretty nasty for Visma. Kuss for the Tour? Stage wins for Kooij maybe?

Top Bottom