Children's names?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My wife's just told me she has nursed a kid the parents had called Chlamydia and another set of blerts thought Candida to be an appropriate name for their daughter! She reckons Chardonnay is the favoured name of the chav classes nowadays.

I hate my name and I was not given a middle name to change to (seemed a bit radical to make one up)

So my two kids have two names each that are fairly different so they can adapt them as they wish.

I am keen that people dont just go for the flavour of the month name. With your name you may rise to great heights, may be one of the lads or anything inbetween. Your name needs to be adaptable for all situations.

newbiebiker

My kids' names were taken from a novel i loved to read. I just fell in love with the characters so, i took the names from it.:angry:

ChrisKH

Guru
Before our first child, we made a list of names for both sexes. There were about fifteen girls names and two boys names. We had two boys. End of story. :angry:

Plax

Guru
summerdays said:
Yes - my kids have been at school with the 3 James or Sam's in a class, and they end up having to be called Jamie/Jim or James B to identify themselves.

I went for names that I liked that weren't in the top 50 names but that weren't unheard of either. So there are usually only a couple of them in their school - should theoretically make it easier to return lost property but it doesn't!! Unfortunately for the 3rd child I managed to pick a name that wasn't common or so I thought that has steadily crept up the name list and made the top 50 now :angry:

I once lived with 3 Rebecca's. We ended up with American Becky, Becky and Bec.
My name wasn't that common, I was the only one with my name at all the Schools I went to (I suppose an "English" name in a Welsh school helped! At Uni I only knew one other with the same name as me. However it has started to gain in popularity and I quite often hear my name shouted at screaming toddlers in the supermarket.

Willow

We picked names that we liked both the long version and shortened versions, checked what the initials spelt, and how long they were to fill out on application forms. We ended up with Michael David and Andrew James despite thinking they may be quite common names they don't appear to be. Michael gets shorted to Mikey now (my parents go mad at it being shortened despite everyone shortening my name, and my mum using her middle name) but Andrew is definitely an Andrew.

I got my name as I was due to be born on St.Andrews day but in actual fact arrived a couple of days later. However my dad's side of the family going back over the years has the same 4 first names occuring very frequently - James, John, Robert and Matthew. It certainly makes do the reasearch for the family tree very confusing.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My mum, who is Scottish, wanted to call me 'Bruce', but my dad thankfully refused to allow it. I am a not a Bruce-type at all! So I have what is now apparently the most common man's name in Britain for my age-group, David...

I don't know what we will call our kids, if we ever manage to have any. One thing is for certain - they will have one western and one Japanese name each.

Top Bottom