Childs Bike Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi. My granddaughter is just over 3 and has been using a balance bike for over a year. She gets on great with it and seems very confident, legs off the ground freewheel downhill etc. My question is at what age does one move onto the next level, bike with pedals, and are stabilizers recommended bearing in mind she's used a balance bike. Or is it recommended to carry on for a bit longer with the balance bike?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My boy was 3 and a half when he graduated from a balance bike to a pedal bike.
Stay clear of stabilisers, not needed if your kiddo has good control of a balance bike. It should be an easy enough transition to a pedal bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK thanks. I just thought the pedalling my distract from the balancing. What bike did you get?
It shouldn't do. It's just a natural progression. Steer clear of stabilisers, they are the work of Stan. They are a hindrance to kids moving up to a pedal bike more then a help.

He graduated to a Specialized Hotrock.

Agree with all the above. A second hand Islabike will still be worth as much in 2 summers’ time as it is this winter.

Also, to ease the transition, take the pedals off the new bike initially and continue to use it as a balance bike until they’re as confident as on their existing one. (Which may be a few minutes or a day or two)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My son is really confident on a balance bike but refuses to pedal his pedal bike. Quite frustrating!

Don't rush him and try not to get frustrated. If he see's you getting frustrated he will only push back. Take yours and his time. He'll pedal when he wants to and when he's confident enough.
In the mean time continue with the balance bike and give him the option to ride the pedal bike when he wants, not when you want.

My boy didn't want anything to do with a pedal bike, so I just left it in the corner. He soon became interested.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I've had success with both my boys by doing as @Specialeyes suggests - taking the pedals off and using the pedal bike as a glorified balance bike at first. Then put the pedals back on and set them off freewheeling down a little hill.

My youngest is just about to graduate from his Isla Cnoc 14, but I think my wife would like to give her sister first refusal on it for our nephew. Legs Jr (pictured in the Hamax seat in my profile pic), is going to be getting this - lucky boy!

-orbea-mx-20-team-kids-bike-purple-mint-2021_50757.jpg

straas

Matt
Cheers for the advice - it's a struggle when there's only so many opportunities to get out.

We got the cnoc 14 too, I was surprised at the weight after using the vitus balance bike!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm going to upset the order and state:

Pretty much any bike will do, unless it is adorned with unnecessary decorations, such as Police sign, tassels, etc. My son's second bike was a 2nd hand Decathlon special, and cost me £10. They won't be using it for long (a couple of years at most?), and any bike will be relatively heavy.

Avoid gears and suspension at all costs.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Pretty much any bike will do, unless it is adorned with unnecessary decorations, such as Police sign, tassels

Sorry to say I disagree with this. Somewhere on this forum there's a post talking about similar. The members kid would only ride a superman (iirc) adorned bike, of which he apologised for.
Now, there's certainly no need to apologise. Any type of bike, adorned with whatever it may be, that gets a kid interested in riding, is a good bike imvho.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry to say I disagree with this. Somewhere on this forum there's a post talking about similar. The members kid would only ride a superman (iirc) adorned bike, of which he apologised for.
Now, there's certainly no need to apologise. Any type of bike, adorned with whatever it may be, that gets a kid interested in riding, is a good bike imvho.

My first bike was a Raleigh Buster which I loved because it was cowboy themed, which I was totally into. Very fond memories of riding that bike up and down the road.

Our boy's three and a half and will be getting a first pedal bike for Christmas. I'm currently on the lookout for something second hand in decent nick. I might look out for one of those Specializeds, the Frogs and Islabikes are a lot of money, even used.

Our daughter's seven and has just never got on with cycling. Never took to the balance bike, we've tried her on a pedal bike which she didn't like so we fitted stabilisers, that didn't work so I've taken the cranks off so she can scoot it but she's really not interested in learning. She's good on her scooter though so we'll be upgrading that soon.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

Good point.

Top Bottom