Chromebook Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpydad

I'm looking at buying a new laptop in the next couple of months, and I've been looking at chromebooks, Am I right in thinking I will need to make use of the cloud or even google drive for storage of pictures and large files, I occasionally have pdf forms to download and fill in would I still be able to do this on a chromebook? I'm not looking for advice on a particular model, more of what I can/can't do on a chromebook. TIA:okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll get a max of 64GB-128GB with a Chromebook depending on model. Everything else will be in the cloud, you get 100GB with every Chromebook, thereafter you pay. Some are expandable with a SD card if supported.
You'll need a constant Internet connection to operate. You can do most stuff on a Chromebook you can do with any laptop except run Microsoft Office and more intensive apps.

Last edited:

Dag Hammar

About fifteen months ago I purchased this H P Chromebook direct from H P.

HP Chromebook 14a-na0005na Full-HD Laptop - Pentium®​

This model has 8GB of memory 128GB storage which is double what many offer.

My Chromebook has a gentle life as I just use it for surfing the web, emails, a few spreadsheets and the occasional letter.

It used to be priced around the £350 mark but I bought mine during the Black Friday offers and paid £280 so to see it for sale now, priced at £249 makes it an absolute bargain.
Whilst I cannot answer your questions as to its suitability for your requirements I can say this : my thirteen year old granddaughter was bought one for her school projects, I liked the look and function of it so I bought the same model and recently my other granddaughter got the same model so that makes three of these Chromebooks in our family.
I hope my positive experience is of some help to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
grumpydad

grumpydad

You'll get a max of 64GB-128GB with a Chromebook depending on model. Everything else will be in the cloud, you get 100GB with every Chromebook, thereafter you pay. Some are expandable with a SD card if supported.
You'll need a constant Internet connection to operate. You can do most stuff on a Chromebook you can do with any laptop except run Microsoft Office and more intensive apps.

What about LibreOffice, do you know if that will work?

I have a Chromebook.
Am I right in thinking I will need to make use of the cloud or even google drive for storage of pictures and large files,
No. You may, if you wish, use an external storage device. I currently use a 32gb micro storage card and a 1TB external drive.
However, you will need to make sure that the CB you acquire is compatible with these options.
Personally, I prefer to use the cloud and backup to the external devices.

One advantage of Cloud storage is that files are accessible to me on my phone and on any device that can give me access to the Internet. That's so long as Google don't lock me out of my account ^_^
I occasionally have pdf forms to download and fill in would I still be able to do this on a chromebook?
I have done that on mine. I believe it's less the hardware that is important, more the software.

There are advantages and disadvantages to a CB compared to a Laptop, probably best judged by looking at what you intend to use it for.

What about LibreOffice, do you know if that will work?
Google links to this:
https://www.libreoffice.org/downloa... LibreOffice,Collabora Office for Chromebooks

Top Bottom