Clonking noise on every pedal revolution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If this is the case, does the BB spindle usually need replacing too, or is this made of sterner stuff than the crank interface?
(I'm assuming you're using square taper - I haven't trashed as much other stuff yet! :laugh: ) My understanding from talking to a LBS worker when buying a crank is that the steel spindle is tougher than the alloy crank so you usually get away with it. My second crank was fine until something else silly happened, which supports that theory. The third time, I replaced the spindle anyway to restore the correct chainline.

RhythMick

Über Member
Before you strip the BB down (which is always fun anyway) I had this and couldn't crack it. Took it to the LBS in embarrassment. He removed the front wheel, greased the dropouts and put it back. Sorted.

Might not be yours, but easy fix if it is and hard to pin down.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Before you strip the BB down (which is always fun anyway) I had this and couldn't crack it. Took it to the LBS in embarrassment. He removed the front wheel, greased the dropouts and put it back. Sorted.
Good one! If I remember correctly, if you put weight on the handlebars and lean the bike very slightly side to side, the front wheel will just-about-visibly move in relation to the brake pads. As well as being not-quite-in the dropouts, that can happen if the hub cones come loose (assuming cup-and-cone bearings)... I've had both happen in the past :sad: but thankfully not at once.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Another thing to check! I will be a little miffed if it turns out to be the wheel bearings/dropouts, since I had the bike in for a service at the LBS (during which they had the wheels out for truing) shortly before the mysterious clonk started. Better that than a new BB though!

Want to try and get it fixed soon, as I may be lending it to a friend for a ride together in a couple of weeks!

RhythMick

Über Member
Another thing to check! I will be a little miffed if it turns out to be the wheel bearings/dropouts, since I had the bike in for a service at the LBS (during which they had the wheels out for truing) shortly before the mysterious clonk started. Better that than a new BB though!

Want to try and get it fixed soon, as I may be lending it to a friend for a ride together in a couple of weeks!

If anything, this might point to the dropouts if they didn't grease them. I don't like coincidences.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member

Contact LBS and explain the situation. They may well take it back in to check for any issue they may have caused?

RhythMick

Über Member
What kind of BB is it? I ride SRAM and found the GXP BBs wore out really quickly. Swapped to a Hope with the GXP adapter and love it.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
It's the reason I LOVE this forum - so much experience to draw on.

Yep! I've had loads of great advice from members in the year or so I've been around :smile: It is very much appreciated!

Haha, I've been pestering the guys at the LBS a fair bit over the last year, so they may be less than thrilled to bits if I come in again with the bike, but it's a fair point. Definitely worth a go if I can't track it down with the advice above.

@RhythMick - not sure about the BB... it's a 2014 Raleigh Royal, and the specs just list it as a sealed cartridge 110.5mm axle, so not much help there! The rest of the drivetrain is Shimano, I think an Altus crankset and Acera RD.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Hmmm, just had a look at the offending clonky crank.

Greasing the fork dropouts and re-inserting the front wheel didn't help, unfortunately, but doesn't hurt to have done it anyway.

Grabbing both cranks and rocking back and forth (hard) at the clonking position *does* yield a tiny bit of side to side motion. As far as I can tell, the movement is in both cranks, not just the left one, so I guess this must mean the rocking and clonking is coming from the BB.

So it looks like it's back to the LBS for a new one, unfortunately!

Top Bottom