CO2 inflator - can only get 60 psi from 16g cartridge!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I use 16g CO2 for my 700x23 tyres.
I let the whole lot in and when I get home I check the pressure and it ranges from 80-105 psi - I never get the 125psi that is claimed by most brands
Although some might be lost along the way, I can tell by pressing the tyres that they are never 120psi

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also the track pump gauge method is unreliable. The contents of a 23mm tyre will need to fill the hose from the valve to the gauge to give a reading. This will be a not insignificant percentage of the tyre contents. So the gauge will always read a lot less than the actual pressure of the tyre before you attached the hose.
I'm probably being dense, but a French or British (Presta or Woods) valve only opens once you pump enough for the hose pressure to match the tyre pressure (at least on my pumps), so how does the capacity of the hose matter?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm probably being dense, but a French or British (Presta or Woods) valve only opens once you pump enough for the hose pressure to match the tyre pressure (at least on my pumps), so how does the capacity of the hose matter?
Nope the ones on mine open as soon as I flick the lever at least to an extent that if I don't start pumping the tyre will go flat

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nope the ones on mine open as soon as I flick the lever at least to an extent that if I don't start pumping the tyre will go flat
Ah. Different design. There must be something pushing the valve open when the lever is flicked in some then. It doesn't happen in my Beto or Revolution (which is the same design as some Lezyne one IIRC) and I can't remember about the Truflo.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah. Different design. There must be something pushing the valve open when the lever is flicked in some then. It doesn't happen in my Beto or Revolution (which is the same design as some Lezyne one IIRC) and I can't remember about the Truflo.
Plus you have to take into account the amount of air released as I push the valve in to make sure it's working in my usual cack handed way

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom