Coast to Coast accessibility advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for completing Coast to Coast in a 'running' manual wheelchair (pushed by 2 carers).

I have completed a couple of half marathons for charity and looking for a new challenge. I have no knowledge of coast to coast other than a small handbook I purchased but it is something I would love to complete it if it is possible.

Therefore if anyone had any advice with best routes, places to avoid it would be most welcome. Obviously I will not be travelling as fast as a cyclist so it will take a while longer.

The reason I have posted on here is because I presume that any route I take has already been completed by someone on here!

Thanks for all your help.

Rob

OldShep

Über Member
I think you need to be more specific as to which coast to coast you want help on. There are a number of options.

Jotheboat

The route I took was Whitehaven to Tynemouth (Newcastle).

This is it here

The only stretches that are not tarmac are a pretty compacted, small grain gravel so I suggest you'd need chunky tyres.
For example, I think people do it on road bikes, but I would have been happier with gravel bike or mountain. Mine was an MTB. Photo of isolated bit attached and the 'worst' surface you'll encounter.
There are some sustained uphill stretches so your pushers will need to be fit!
We stayed in a camper van, hopping from site to site with my Mrs driving, but I would think there are plenty of pubs / B&Bs etc. all the way. There are suggested daily stopping points on the link I sent, but you'll not be going that far each day.
If I can help more I'll try.
Best of luck. It was an amazing thing to do.

Attachments

• Moors road sm.jpg
    Moors road sm.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
W

wheelchairrunner

Hi everyone, thanks for your advice. It would be Coast to Coast as in North Sea to Irish Sea (or vice versa).

OldShep

Über Member
That’s narrowing it down to Workington Whitehaven - Tynemouth Sunderland
or St Bees to Whitby
or maybe Walney Island to Wear?
We can rule out WOTR as it starts in Morecambe bay.
Ive started from both Workington and Whitehaven. Both are gentle starts but Whitehaven is a bonnier place. It gets hilly in the middle and I imagine the off road options won’t be a good option for you.
Ive only got experience of the Tynemouth finish, easier logistics for me, but Sunderland is meant to be better. It is very easy after Bank Top. Getting to Bank Too via Crawleyside Bank is a killer you might need an extra horse for that. Going by Rookhope is IMO easier, a gradual gradient to the top, but it is on gravel and once on the top the track becomes rutted which might pose difficulties.

Top Bottom