Cold callers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I used to get JWs and charities. I always said no thanks as they were mid sentence, and shut the door. I tried being polite the first few times but now I can't be bothered. A sign would probably help but it looks a bit untidy

Gwylan

Veteran
Cold callers, at the door, don't usually get this far up the road.
Those that do get a polite "bums rush"
No land line anymore, that's one less.
Calls from unidentified or withheld numbers get the " have I got the job routine" response.
Wastes their time and stimulates my imagination.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just had a call from a number I have seen before but did not bother picking up the phone. Answering machine took a message It is a bit indistinct but it seemed to be something to do with pharmacy.
The local chemist has a number very similar to mine and I have sometimes had wrong number callers so perhaps this is one of their suppliers.

Emanresu

Cold callers, at the door, don't usually get this far up the road.
Those that do get a polite "bums rush"

With a General Election coming up, expect a lot of smiling people cold calling (phone and visit) asking for your vote. You never see them/hear from them at any other time but they are very polite until you ask them a difficult question such as "why have I never seen you before now?".

Front door has 'no cold callers' sign on it, landline uses call blocker - unknown numbers have to record a message to introduce themselves and on mobile I use a call blocker 'Mr Number' which does a very good job at filtering out all the spam.

Between all those I rarely get any cold callers.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I very much value my privacy and view any unsolicited contact as an invasion of said sanctity.

Witheld / anonymous calls to my phone never get answered - if it's important they'll leave a message.

Thankfully we don't get many cold callers to the house; if we do and they can be identified first I just ignore them. One of the few uses local groups on FB have IMO is to warn of "Nottingham knockers" and the like in the area, so I know to leave the door well alone if someone bothers it.

Really we could do with a camera at the door to allow callers to be identified without going near it; something that's especially important IMO with my mother's advancing years and ridiculously amenible nature she's accumulated quite a bit of overpriced, low-quality kitchen tat over the years thanks to these scumbags :sad:

Last edited:

presta

Guru
landline uses call blocker

I use the 1571 call blocker, but the last time I tried to block a number I got "That number's already on your block list". The 1571 system doesn't have a button to press for "How the hell did it get through, then?".

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I see no harm in being polite, but pretty much say "no thank you, not interested" and that's that. On the phone I don't give my name, just "hello", which helps identify if they are randomly calling numbers, or actually know who I am. It'll still be "no thank you", unless it's an obvious scam, or a recorded message, in which case I silently hang up and block the number

All uphill

Still rolling along
I recently had a cold caller with her ( presumably) teenage son in tow, looking very fed up.

The caller started with the usual question about whether I am in favour of family values. I exchanged a few polite words with her then turned to the lad and said " You'll soon be old enough to leave this all behind. You can live a perfectly good life without organised religion".

There was a look of pure hatred on the woman's face as she turned and left.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I often get cold telephone callers who say "Is that Mr Andy?" Instead of my surname. I usually say "if you are legitimate then you would know my surname". And they either hang up or get confused and awkwardly continue with their script. If I'm in a really bad mood I just say eff off and question their existence

Drago

Legendary Member
I recently had a cold caller with her ( presumably) teenage son in tow, looking very fed up.

The caller started with the usual question about whether I am in favour of family values. I exchanged a few polite words with her then turned to the lad and said " You'll soon be old enough to leave this all behind. You can live a perfectly good life without organised religion".

There was a look of pure hatred on the woman's face as she turned and left.

I tell that lot I'm Jewish and slam the door.

On an unrelated note, my house has been burned down four times now in mysterious circumstances.

Top Bottom