commentators on europsport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who is the guy commentating with Sean Kelly? He sounds like Mark Nicholas, ex Hants Cricket Captain who did a bit of the intro's on Cricket on Five.

Also the other bloke, Carlton someone, also does Moto GP on Eurosport and if you look at some of the comments on the various europsport and Moto GP forums you'll see he's not rated very highly, somewhat unknowledgable and judging by some of his verbage on the TDF I'd say he's not too good at cycling commentary either.

Then again, could I do better :smile:

Will1985

Über Member
David Harmon.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The other bloke is Carlton Kirby - he's okay in the cellar in Paris but not as a commentator.
Mike Smith does his bit sometimes

Molecule Man

I really like the Eurosport team, despite their many faults. I think it is partly because they do all the other big races together as well throughout the year, so they are very comfortable with each other, something I have noticed with their tennis commentators as well.
Do Liggett and Sherwen cover any other races for ITV or US networks? Whenever I listen to them it always seems like they are trying too hard to build up excitement, as if they are aiming for an audience who watch the Tour and nothing else.

Liggett and Sherwen have a very creepy relationship. when you see them do the email spot on the ITV4 highlights, watch them closely. Their faces llok almost the same, long and pointy like some demented gnomes and Sherwen also keeps looking at Liggett with this weird smile on his face, like he's besotted with him.

The worst part though is the commentary. Everytime Liggett says something, Sherwen replies but almost always uses Liggett's whole last sentence as his first sentence. It's bizarre.

Despite the fact Kelly is a bit annoying with his 'certaintly' etc, I much prefer Eurosport's coverage and commentary. Harmon always seems to get loads of extra information about the riders, route and the region which makes it much more interesting.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you look closely you can see Sherwen's hand up Liggett's jumper and he is actually a very impressive ventriloquist. That's why Phil's delivery is so wooden and Sherwen had the dummy made in his own likeness.

Molecule Man

Does Sherwen still own a gold mine in Zambia?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's in Uganda....

I like Harmon and Kelly, but to be honest, anyone is better than Duffers, even someone who spoke no English would be preferable to Duffers....

girofan

Molecule Man said:
Do Liggett and Sherwen cover any other races for ITV or US networks? Whenever I listen to them it always seems like they are trying too hard to build up excitement, as if they are aiming for an audience who watch the Tour and nothing else.

They also do a programme, (and have done for a number of years) for the Outdoor Life Network, OLN. Also Sherwen used to be the PR man for one of Bruyneel's many Armstrong teams.
So between them they are so pro American it's excrutiating to listen to their US creeping. Sort of a cycling commentary version of Uriah Heap!!
If a plug can be inserted into the programme for an American rider or company they're right on the ball, irrespective of what is happening in the race. Cheerleaders for the Lance brigade.

zimzum42 said:
It's in Uganda....

I like Harmon and Kelly, but to be honest, anyone is better than Duffers, even someone who spoke no English would be preferable to Duffers....

But David was fantastic during those quite periods (ie90% of the time) when nothing was happening. Sadly missed from the main tours personally.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
girofan said:
They also do a programme, (and have done for a number of years) for the Outdoor Life Network, OLN. Also Sherwen used to be the PR man for one of Bruyneel's many Armstrong teams.
So between them they are so pro American it's excrutiating to listen to their US creeping. Sort of a cycling commentary version of Uriah Heap!!
If a plug can be inserted into the programme for an American rider or company they're right on the ball, irrespective of what is happening in the race. Cheerleaders for the Lance brigade.
They work for a US network, so no surprise really. When they used to do the C4 coverage they were all over British riders, however thin n the ground they were. They're just playing to their audience...

Top Bottom