Conficker virus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
So what can we expect tomorrow? I think I'll be booting up my laptop from my linux memory stick. Aound January, I was getting lots of Microsoft updates on my PC. I understand these were a desparate attempt to head off the conficker virus. I'm pretty sure now it was one of these hotfixes that buggered up my PC's internet connectivity. My PC was getting slower and slower and generally getting a bit ropey anyway. I think one of those downloads just toppled it over. Then I thought, no, it must be a virus, but I understand the conficker virus works by enabling some nefarious evil-doer to enslave your PC and make it overload targetted data servers by sending lots of data requests. It couldn't do this by disabling your PC's connectivity. The loss of interconnectivity was extremely vexing. It cost me loads and when I took my PC to the repair shop, they just formatted my disk and re-installed XP (incorrectly) so that I lost a lot of data and some applications. If only I'd been a bit more savvy or lucky about routers. I had installed Ubuntu on my PC but couldn't connect to the internet with my USB model. I also bought a ADSL2 router but I couldn't get it to work with that either <sigh>. My laptop has been downloading a few updates recently and I'm nervous about accepting them.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
So far so good, still waiting to see if anything will happen...

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Have imac's just jumped in price by £200 ???

The cheapest I can see on the apple store and John Lewis is £949

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Does anyone know if this is causing any problems... I seem to be having problems with my computer this morning ... it won't open lots of web pages including the download that my virus checker wanted me to download due to the conficker virus (also cyclogs, support Microsoft, wikipedia etc) - all the pages come up with

This web page is not available.

The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Luckily Cycle chat is one of the few that still is working:biggrin::biggrin:.

I'm probably about to reboot the computer see if that helps. (Just worried in case Cyclechat would then stop working:blush::biggrin:)

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I understand your question. I know Apple make other things as well as iMac's, but I don't want a laptop or an iphone, I want an iMac !

Top Bottom