Conficker virus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
summerdays said:
Does anyone know if this is causing any problems... I seem to be having problems with my computer this morning ... it won't open lots of web pages including the download that my virus checker wanted me to download due to the conficker virus (also cyclogs, support Microsoft, wikipedia etc) - all the pages come up with

This web page is not available.

The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Luckily Cycle chat is one of the few that still is working:biggrin::biggrin:.

I'm probably about to reboot the computer see if that helps. (Just worried in case Cyclechat would then stop working:blush::biggrin:)

There is a simple way of to tell if your computer is infected follow the link to this page and it will let you know. Don't worry it is safe.

If it is infected PM me and I can e-mail you a removal tool.

Carwash

Señor Member
mr Mag00 said:
what would you suggest? I have thought about this more and more, as Open source gather momentum

That really depends on you. Personally my preferences are for Mac OS X, Debian GNU/Linux, and FreeBSD. If you're in the market for a new computer, a Mac of any kind would be well worth it. Otherwise I've heard positive things about Ubuntu Linux from people switching from Windows (although I hated it when I tried it).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
mr Mag00 said:
Carwash said:
Or indeed almost any other modern non-Windows OS. But that's is not really constructive advice in this context.

what would you suggest? I have thought about this more and more, as Open source gather momentum

For anyone who has a Windows box and doesn't want to buy new hardware then a Linux disto make sense, if their machine is infected with the worm then being able to dual boot or have a bootable CD, would enable them to download a removal tool from sites which the worm is blocking under window. For someone looking to spend money on new hardware then a Mac is an option, but not the only one.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm probably about to reboot the computer see if that helps. (Just worried in case Cyclechat would then stop working)

Yep I was right to worry bout turning it off - computer stopped all access to the internet afterwards - no emails etc... now its come back of its own accord a couple of hours later.

Hairy Jock said:
There is a simple way of to tell if your computer is infected follow the link to this page and it will let you know. Don't worry it is safe.

If it is infected PM me and I can e-mail you a removal tool.

According to that I'm not infected... though if I had done the test earlier I wouldn't of known as it wouldn't display any images on the internet.

Thanks for the link and information.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Catrike UK said:
The prices posted on here were not for iMacs.

Ah, sorry for the confusion, my question was not really based on the earlier prices, rather the fact that the cheapest iMac was £949 and I seem to remember only a few weeks ago you could get one for about £750 - so I was wondering if they have jumped in price (weak pound perhaps ?) or is my memory faulty :biggrin:

Andrew

cisamcgu said:
Ah, sorry for the confusion, my question was not really based on the earlier prices, rather the fact that the cheapest iMac was £949 and I seem to remember only a few weeks ago you could get one for about £750 - so I was wondering if they have jumped in price (weak pound perhaps ?) or is my memory faulty :tongue:

Andrew

The exchange rate was a lot better, if you take the US price which is advertised without sales tax and add 15% vat, then convert to pounds it is about spot on, if you exchange it at the old 2:1 rate then it would be about £700.

Top Bottom