confused how to eat!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, so, going on a health kick, love my marinated chicken thighs and basmati rice from the rice cooker, just very very dry. My initial thought is to add sauce...but this is where I get confused...I don't want to ruin the flavour of the marinated chicken, so don't want a thick sauce to drip (drop?) over the chicken. Do I just make a curry sauce, just something to not make the rice so dry - but dont want a full blown curry? Do I just get some chicken broth? Is it worth making a hot sauce to go over the rice?

A bit confused?

Thanks in advance

Mint raita? P*ss easy to make, just mix chopped fresh mint with natural yoghurt (el cheapo is fine), plus ground black pepper and a bit of salt. Can also add finely chopped garlic or peeled & de-seeded cucumber.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like how the Chicken Tikka Massala was invented in Glasgow, a guy loved his Chicken and Rice but said "It's a bit dry, can you make me some gravy" so the chef did. I make my own by browning some finely diced Onion then adding a couple of teaspoons of whatever I've marinaded the Chicken in (Tandoori Massala powder in my case then add 1/4 pint of chicken stock simmer for a bit then add 1/2 a pot of double cream, if it's a bit lumpy cos of the Onion you can sieve/blend it to make it smoother.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do they actually still make the stuff? :scratch:
Seems so, Tesco still showing as having them in stock.

Attachments

• set 1 image 1.png
    set 1 image 1.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 1

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Half a pot of double cream doesn't really go with the OP's health kick...

It's a fallacy that fat is bad for you, all these 'fat reduced' products are loaded with sugar and various preservatives/thickening agents and are far worse healthwise than natural unmolested produce as Spokey posts ditch or reduce the carbs/sugar/Palm oil.

As for myself I eat quite a few 'Atkins diet' meals and practice 'Portion Control'...............managed to lose 4 stone going from over 16 to 12 and a bit (106kg to 75kg) last year (BTW I 'm nearly 6 foot tall, used to be over 6 foot but old age has meant now I'm over 60 my spine is slowly collapsing due to disc damage from years of hard work and cycling)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I use coconut milk instead of cream because I'm dairy free. You can thicken the coconut milk first by simmering in a pan, stir in curry powder/paste and any extra you might want (I add garlic and ginger). It works with Indian curry and Thai green curry even better.

I'm also a big fan of take-away style chinese curry. They do pots of paste in morrisons, just add hot water and add to cooked chicken. it's quite low in carbs but not sure about fat. I strictly only like meat, peas and onions in a chinese curry. Anything esle is banned

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I use coconut milk instead of cream because I'm dairy free. You can thicken the coconut milk first by simmering in a pan, stir in curry powder/paste and any extra you might want (I add garlic and ginger). It works with Indian curry and Thai green curry even better.

I'm also a big fan of take-away style chinese curry. They do pots of paste in morrisons, just add hot water and add to cooked chicken. it's quite low in carbs but not sure about fat. I strictly only like meat, peas and onions in a chinese curry. Anything esle is banned

I find (ymmv) that creamed coconut - this stuff-
1684917875673.png

is better and more versatile than coconut milk which as you point our either needs thickening or you only need 1/2 1/3 of a can etc .
Chop a bit off the block and lob it into your pan with whatever meat / veg you've cooked and spices etc you've thrown . add a bit of water to get to right "sauce" consistency. can also add tomato puree if you want a more rogan josh stylee curry. could not be more simple.

Top Bottom