Conti Ultra Gatorskin or Schwalbe Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Puncture resistance and good grip are mutually exclusive, it's hard compound v soft compound. I would like to tell you the tyre I use, nearly 21,000 miles and no punctures but then if everyone bought it, it might go up in price
whistling.gif

Cad!

colinr

I had Durano+ on my commuter, expensive but worth it for the puncture protection. I lost one to wear and tear (sidewall started going) and another to a massive glass gash. If I still had a cycle commute I'd keep with them.

Have Gatorskin Ultras on my roadie, they ride better but not convinced they'll take as much punishment. Half the price though.

OP
OP
The Jayler

The Jayler

Thanks for the replies guys. I have gone with the gators but if they dont proove any better i may well purchase the Duranos in a couple of months.
I guess it is a balance between speed and durability which as with all tyres i guess, i can't have both. I rarley go out on my racer in the wet so i'm hoping not to slide out on my arse.
JUst wich it was spring already as i'm now eager to get out on the roads again. Getting bored of being covered in mud on the mounty.

edindave

Über Member
I've just ordered some 25mm Gator Ultras to replace the 28mm Marathon Plus tyres that have served me well for over 2,000 miles.

I'm hoping for some performance improvement due to the reduced weight and surface profile.

The Mara + have been superb tyres so I'll keep them handy just in case the Gators don't survive my daily ride along Cramond/Granton foreshore with its dreaded seashell shrapnel.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I put Gatorskins on my old pub bike a few months back ('cos they were some of the few decent tyres still made in 27 x 1 1/4) and they transformed the ride from spine jarringly horrendous to almost acceptable! No visits from the fairy yet. The wet performance is not totally inspiring, but that may be due to the gas pipe frame giving little feedback. They seem to roll well.

OP
OP
The Jayler

The Jayler

Gatorskins arrived and installed. Really nice to ride on and after my first ride have come to the conclusion they are very twitchy in the wet. No punctures so far.

Top Bottom