continental ultra gatorskins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
They are too narrow (and wrong size) for my friend who refuses to spend any money on his bike which is only used for commuting but if anyone has any really cheap recommendations for tyres to replace his MTB knobblies let me know. He doesn't see it as a problem but it pains me to see it.

ChrisKH

Guru
I need some winter tyres to replace my 26" x 1.3" slicks.

At least I presume I might need some. New commuter steed comes with Continental Sport Contact with kevlar anti-puncture protection but there's barely any grip on them. Will they be adequate for winter? Road use only.

domtyler

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
I need some winter tyres to replace my 26" x 1.3" slicks.

At least I presume I might need some. New commuter steed comes with Continental Sport Contact with kevlar anti-puncture protection but there's barely any grip on them. Will they be adequate for winter? Road use only.

Eh? I use those tyres and have always found plenty of grip. What do you mean that yours have no grip?

ChrisKH

Guru
domtyler said:
Eh? I use those tyres and have always found plenty of grip. What do you mean that yours have no grip?

I'll rephrase that dom, as I haven't even been out on the bike yet (let alone adjusted it to my requirements). The bike tyres didn't look that grippy. Bear in mind I have used Brompton treaded tyres for the last six years. I stand corrected.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Gator is not a good wet weather tyre (imo). I had this brought home to me again on today's commute. As soon as I can afford a new set of tyres, these are coming off.

domtyler

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
I'll rephrase that dom, as I haven't even been out on the bike yet (let alone adjusted it to my requirements). The bike tyres didn't look that grippy. Bear in mind I have used Brompton treaded tyres for the last six years. I stand corrected.

Ah, I see, you mean tread, not grip. No tread on these tyres, they are slicks. As in the world of motor racing you will see that less tread equals more grip, not less. More rubber in contact with the road you see.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have used Gatorskins for many years and have found them to be fine as long as you keep them pumped up hard. I run 25's on my audax bike and 23's on my racing bike. Some people hate them with a vengence, but I find them fine.

jasper

What store is it Dan? I'm in Letchworth and I also pass the Stevenage and Biggleswade ones if you need any collecting...?

Wolf04

domtyler said:
Ah, I see, you mean tread, not grip. No tread on these tyres, they are slicks. As in the world of motor racing you will see that less tread equals more grip, not less. More rubber in contact with the road you see.
Except in the case of Ultra Gators which are notoriously slippy in the wet. Though to be fair I've had one on the front without problems but the back end use to be all over the place when I had used a Ultra Gator.

domtyler said:

I would say they don't have grip or rather don't have enough.

I've had 2 batches now, bought second as opinions are so polar (but P resistance good).

Both batches as bad as each other. Wierd non confidence inspiring handling in the wet. Limited acceleration/braking grip in the wet. If I can spin the rear, sat down, in a 60ish" gear then they must be poor?

I'm no tyre scientist dude, but the thick main tread is very unweilding which may contribute?

Conti Sport Contacts on my commuter seem the same though on 28mm but handle completely differently ie fine.

Top Bottom