Contracting - Umbrella Companies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I was made redundant at the end of February and whilst this gives me more scope to ride my bike a new job would be nice. I may have the opportunity for 3-months (software related) contract work (which may go on to more or may not). I've not contracted before and have been recommended to sign-up to one of these umbrella companies (as opposed to forming a one-man-band Ltd company). Any thoughts on this or recommendations for umbrella companies?

Cheers, Alien8

yello

I used a contract umbrella company for a while (they were imaginatively called 'Contractor Umbrella'). They were hassle free and simplicity itself to use. No problems at all, all communications answered quickly, paid on time, P60 & P45 issued quickly, etc. I even had an eye test and new specs paid for through them (as a tax deductible expense) as a matter of course.

As a short term solution, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Is this the sort of company that takes on the payroll duties to save you being a limited company?
I went limited to avoid this as I spent a couple of days reading the small print of a particular company's contract and seeking legal advice on it. I wasn't happy with the binding nature of their wording on who I could work for and ownership of any intellectual copywrite I produce while in post.
I'm glad I am a limited company now.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have only ever required their services once. Contracting for 5 months in 2006 and I used Giant. They were pretty poor TBH and colleagues of mine would say the same thing.

02GF74

Über Member
oooh, Alien8 by Ulitmate. I recognise the robot!!

that takes me back that does. I had a 48 K spectrum and back in the day Spectrum spotter monthly would publish pokes that gave you infinitely lives for games.

There was one for Alien 8 and I mapped out all the rooms!!
alien8c.gif

Attachments

• alien8c.gif
    alien8c.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 18

Night Train

Maker of Things
Sittingduck said:
I have only ever required their services once. Contracting for 5 months in 2006 and I used Giant. They were pretty poor TBH and colleagues of mine would say the same thing.
I know employers who wouldn't use them never mind contractors. A saying that involves barge poles comes to mind.

Top Bottom