Cooling Church recce ride, Thursday night, Friday morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You wanted eerie, you've got eerie. Weather permitting, leaving Cutty Sark Gardens at quarter to one Friday morning, going to Rochester or Faversham or possibly even Whitstable, or maybe even Dover. Who can tell? This is a recce ride, with no tea stop en route, so bring refreshments. Flaming gas flares, Georgian architecture, two miles through spiders' webs and the eponymous dead kiddies. You know it makes sense....

iLB

Hello there
dead kiddies?? :s

Radius

SHREDDER
Can this wait til after exams Simon? Cos i'd love to do it but right now is not the best period. Any time after June 10th

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's got to be this week - I'm off to Cyclenation on Saturday, so Thursday is the best bet for me. It's only a recce ride for the June 5th ride to Whitstable. User10571 and I have ridden the route (or variants) half a dozen times, but we're considering a couple of changes, one of which really does have to be checked out at night to see if the traffic levels are OK.

And as for the dead kiddies - Cooling church yard.....very Dickensian, darling.

proxy

Cooling Church Graveyard
These are the grave stones of 13 very young children who died in the late 18th century. These stones inspired Charles Dickens to write Great Expectations, especially the first chapter where Pip visits the gravestones of his family in a Kent church yard near to where some ship hulks were being used to keep prisoners who were about to be deported (now believed to be fictionally located in nearby Egypt Bay).

Photo credit to:
Hywel Williams

yello

Are/where they actually referred to as "dead kiddies"?

It just seems a little, um, tasteless/disrespectful in my grammar. No offence intended to anyone, just remarking how it comes across to me.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There was a little subtext. Sentimentality is a two-edge sword. Dickens' sentimentality drove him to write masterpieces. That same sentimentality inspires the vindictive treatment of people suspected of paedophilia.

I've always found graveyards the perfect stopping place on cycle rides. Life lived at its very best shouldn't lose sight of the past. That two of the most moving graveyards are halfway up a couple of the toughest climbs on the LEJoG route is purely co-incidental.

yello

So the answer is 'not generally' then! It is your own terminology. I have no problems with it, and recognise the subtext, I was just interested. Things get lost in translation.

dellzeqq said:
Life lived at its very best shouldn't lose sight of the past.

Nor the future (not mine, as I've got a wood lined up for me when I kick off this mortal coil).

I've only just spotted this and would have liked to come along, but I've got the car booked in first thing Friday, and then I've got to go for a test ride on a bike.

Have fun.

Top Bottom