Could women riders catch the TDF men?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
only way to really find out is to try it.

I think some could. Average speed in the ToB was 26mph, lots of attacking. The pee issue is a non issue i reckon. I suppose physiological differences at the very highest level might be exposed on longer stages or multiple days but nowhete near the extent you might think. Judging by the ToB, men might get a shock at the amount of attacking that goes on.

having watched some of the Tour Series, (some of) the women could give (some of) the men a run for their money. the women do seem to go all out from the gun.

one if the big issues in the depth of talent. women's cycling has never had the support of men's, so the pool of talent to choose from is smaller. a lot of the teams are lacking in that respect, but it is changing.

i was watching the racing at Redbridge cycling centre last week, my first time seeing junior events. i was surprised to see the races are mixed and the girls were at the sharp end a lot of the time.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I think some could. Average speed in the ToB was 26mph, lots of attacking. The pee issue is a non issue i reckon. I suppose physiological differences at the very highest level might be exposed on longer stages or multiple days but nowhete near the extent you might think. Judging by the ToB, men might get a shock at the amount of attacking that goes on.
not forgetting they only ride 60 or so miles not the 100 or so the men often ride

U

User169

I'd love to see how Vos would go up against the men.

I'd like to see Vos more frequently up against some tougher parcours. In the womens Giro just finished she was well beaten over proper hills by Pooley even though Vos had the stronger team.

not forgetting they only ride 60 or so miles not the 100 or so the men often ride
No I haven't forgotten that. I think the ability would work out as a bit of a Venn Diagram though.

Vos, Pooley, Armitstead, Cooke, it'd be great to see them all against the men

Not forgetting Beryl Burton, we can only wonder what she would have attained in this day & age (training, bikes, kit, nutrician, etc...)

Then again, she did beat Nim Carline in the 12 hour Time-Trial, back in 1967 - it took 2 years for a man to go further.
Even now, her 12 hour record still stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She rode the 1968 'Grand Prix des Nations' as a personal invite (73km/46 mile time-trial for the pros) in 1.45:22
She finished just over a minute behind the slowest of the pro riders, & with a slow rear-puncture over the last few miles!

No they couldn't, it is comparing apples and pears and in our racing world should never be done. I would go further, comparisons are often done by commentators highlighting the discrepancy between male and female, why? It is vitally important in the world of cycle racing that the two are never compared because this is to do women a huge disservice, it lowers them in the eyes of the general public.
It is hard enough fighting to get them equal prize money. Tomorrow morning if dr_pink wins the womens race she will collect £50, the equivalent man will get £100, completely wrong. A man will always [in todays racing] be quicker than a woman, but the woman worked just as hard as the man.
I could go on, a lot, but I'm tired and have to be up at 6am.

beastie

Guru
The men put out a lot more power. The men's individual 4000m pursuit record is 6 seconds faster than the women's Team record. The men's hour record is 56km (ish), the women's 46km. So about 20% faster. W/kg I think the men are still stronger, but the gap is less?

swansonj

Guru
I started reading this thread with the feeling in my mind that I'd read that the longer the event, the better women do, and after a certain point, they are better than men. Perusal of the records for running for 24 hours, 48 hours, 6 days etc doesn't seem to support that - men still seem to be 10-20% faster. But I did find the Everest Base Camp - Katmandu record: originally held by a male Sherpa, lowered by a joint male-female duo, then lowered again by the female of that team on her own.

Top Bottom