Council Complaints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Problem is the area may fall into a grey area where the developers may be responsible for the area rather than the council. I had an area which was undergoing redevelopment and the street light was gone so reported it to the council (who had fixed the lights in that area previously) to find that during the development that the responsibility had passed to the developer, even for something that was normally maintained by the council.

But, a big but, you did something.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But, a big but, you did something.
I normally try, but it can be hard remembering a pothole when you get home and I'm less tempted to stop and report it in wintertime, but I do report potholes reasonably regularly. Sometimes they are fixed very quickly, one took about 5 years but it did require that section of road to be resurfaced (concrete road slabs settling at different levels now Tarmac).

When people complain about potholes my first question is have they reported it, most haven't!:rolleyes:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:angel: Me in 2011

You have to get hold of the right person and then you have to keep asking them for updates so they understand you actually expect some action.
Earlier this year I reported a problem on my commute where a bad road surface and overgrown hedgerow was causing a serious danger to cyclists on a popular commuter route to a nearby industrial estate. My initial report and follow up calls to the highways dept eventually resulted in a 'no action to be carried out'. I then googled the boroughs councillors and found one for the area that had also been on a committee for road safety best value and best practice a few years earlier so I knew he was my best shot of getting something done. Sure enough, with a little pestering the problem was remedied a few months later (still not quick but occasional update requests kept things moving and I followed up with a note of thanks once the problem was dealt with).
I reckon your best bet is to get a councillor on board. The beurocrats and civil servants just want an easy life so take little notice of the public but the councillors actually care about your votes!!!

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
I'm glad this has sparked debate, because it shows that many of us are far too stoic for our own good. I once got knocked down by a car, totally through the driver's fault, and my first response to him was to apologise for being in his way. I eventually, amicably, called my solicitor and sorted it out through the insurance because i was encouraged to exercise my rights as a 'victim'.

The point being here, i'm not one to rush to blame someone else for my failings on my bike. I simply wanted to know what other people thought of the situation given the circumstances.

As it stands i will be out of pocket for a new wheelset (thankfully a CC'er has come up trumps with an identical wheelset at knockdown price (thanks @Shanks!)) but i'd like the council to acknowledge that their maintenance of the path is substandard, and the exemplar should be plumping up for my new wheels because of said poor maintenance. Principle and all that.

At any rate it's just not cricket to resort to insults because your opinion is poorly formed. That's my tuppence-worth.

Crankarm

Guru
Looking at the damage to your wheel and reading of your description of how it came to be with your vivid description of going arse over tit over your bike's handlebars, my first thoughts were that you might have been injured in some sort of way, but you do not mention injury which is a bit odd given your pringled front wheel. I would just put it down to experience, get yourself a new wheel and move on. I would also check out the front forks, stem and handlebars. Maybe you need better lights?

The branch might have been in the position it was when it met with you due to contractors working for your local council. So your LA might, rightly or wrongly, just refer you to them or as has already been suggested the owner of the tree or the land on which it is growing. Then you will have a right battle. If this is so, I would just write the cost of a new wheel off, as pursuing £100 is simply not worth it imho. Your costs and time will simply make it uneconomic.

Your local authority and their insurers will do everything to frustrate your claim and not pay out. It will be a long and frustrating road to receiving any compensation. But I guess if you don't fill in their forms and return them you won't get anything …….. Good luck.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem is we are all paying for this claim culture. Where will it stop.
We also pay for councils / the government through taxation to maintain the infrastructure, they appear to not be doing so. I would contact the council, but not expect much action

Regarding claims against motorists and others who damage or injure a third party, that's why insurance is fortunately mandatory in the UK

screenman

Legendary Member
The council's are people, and only a certain amount of them. How much extra would we need to pay for everything to be perfect.

A legitimate yes, but I run over or tripped over something I should have seen.

vickster

Legendary Member
So if you see a pothole but can't avoid it as there's a car to your right, is it your fault if you hit it and damage your bike?

screenman

Legendary Member
So if you see a pothole but can't avoid it as there's a car to your right, is it your fault if you hit it and damage your bike?

Did the pot hole appear the day after it the road was last checked, I would like you no doubt report it. I have damaged a couple of wheels on less than silk like roads, I accept I maybe could have been more observant, so have never claimed.

Top Bottom