covering letters for cv's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Llama

Veteran
Anybody any advice for successful covering letters - i've been on the net and some say write pages and some just a couple of lines - anybody have any advice for ones that actually work and ensure your CV is read!!!!

thanks

nigelnorris

Exactly one A4 page, 3 - 5 paragraphs that describe how wonderfully relevant you are. It needs to be punchy - get some attention, all the details go in your CV.

No need to link to your CV, expect them to read that and work it out for themselves.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If it's on a jobsite or though an agency, I would suggest trying to find the name and the direct number of the recruitment consultant and phoning them directly to help establish a rapport. Then when you have described how the role sounds "just perfect and tailor made for you" ask them if you can mail them your CV directly, there and then. In short - cut out all the regular application process that will just get your CV and cover note filtered into somebody's e-mail folder, along with 200 others :biggrin:

They will certainly not want anything over a page long.

You really dont have too much to say - if you do then your cv is lacking!

Just go for a more personal application of your experience and how it would relate to the job. Dont go overboard - more you say the more chance they will have of finding something they dont like.

Also dont have a standard CV taylor that to the job too.

It depends on what you're applying for I'd say. If it's a job that many people can do (and will apply for), the shorter the better as the person sifting the cvs is not going to want to read piles of paper.

If it's a specific job requiring specific skills at a high level, I'd say still keep it to a page max but be more 'wordy' as Nigel recommended.

I get dozens of spec CVs as well as replies to adverts.

A covering letter is essential. One page at most. It says why you want the job and why your experience and qualities make you the right choice. Give specifics which cover the key requirements of the job - "I can run accounts software from my two years with XYZ Ltd".

It is also a chance to explain any issues with your CV. I had one a couple of months ago which said "My A Level results were poor because a family member died in my final term, but you will see that I got a 2.1 Degree"; without that, hers would have gone in the bin.

Most important, it is your chance to show something of yourself as a person. These days most jobs are going to attract half a dozen applicants who are all perfectly capable of doing it and equally well qualified. Provided your CV is up to the mark, I want something to tell me "this could be a good person to work with, so let's get them along for an interview to see if I'm right". I like to see some evidence of a human being and a life outside work.

Short, sharp, relevant.

Top Bottom