Crash! *dum* Ah-Ahhh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Arch][quote name= said:
Who she? :tongue:

I've always thought I should take up archery, never have... A fellow student gave his assessed lecture on the longbow at Agincourt, and had a real longbow to show, so he made me come up out of the audience to model it. I could barely bend it...

Saw a funny 'off' on Monday - a mate trying a rather odd recumbent (even by my standards)

http://www.streetrower.com/

with an unusual steering method - he ended up going right off the path into a field of barley - at low speed, so it was just funny, and he sat there laughing...

ha ha! That would be the "easily accessible switch on the handles"? I hope he was singing Sting's Fields of Gold as it happened.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yup. Took some getting used to, especially at any speed...

Actually, the fields up here are still quite green - but Fields of Green doesn't have quite the same Romantic High Summer Appeal does it... More like Emerald Isle Folk Chic. :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Would you believe me if I told you my mother was born a Grundy?

No, really!

And my dad once got asked for an autograph by an old lady in a pub (in the 60's) she heard the landlord call him Mr Archer... He never knew which one she thought he was...

OP
OP
dub-no-bass

dub-no-bass

My right arm and shoulder muscles have now decided to join the party and my mood has turned from faintly amused embarassment to being a bit fed up.

I need a bit of advice here, never sprained a wrist before. I have it strapped up in a wrist brace (one of the ones with velcro straps and an aluminium support) which means I don't keep accidently bending my wrist and hurting myself. I was going to leave the brace off at night. I'm taking naproxen as regularly as I am allowed to. Is there any point putting ice on it, or is it too late for that now? Should I rest it completely until I am completely twinge-free, or will I be OK to start riding again once it mostly doesn't hurt?

Also, how long do these things take to get better - days, weeks, months? I'm going to be off the bike for a couple of months after jaw surgery in 3 weeks time anyway, but now I've sprained the wrist, am I going to be saying goodbye to cycling from now until November? :tongue:

mosschops2

I'd basically plan on taking it easy... Severe sprains can take 6-10 weeks to heal completely, and even a light sprain would benefit from being rested for 2-3 weeks.

(sorry)

Ice will help reduce swelling. Put an ice bag in a wet tea towel, apply for 10-15 minutes every 2-3 hours. More than 20 minutes of icing is of no additional benefit - so don't overdo it for the sake of it.

And pleased to hear that you're basically OK!!

col

Legendary Member
Mosschops advice sounds the way to go,its not nice being forced off what you like to do like that,i hope it isnt too long for you.
Climbing?i get dizzy going up the stairs,not good with heights im afraid,archery,iv always fancied that but there is nothing in my area that im aware of.I would have liked to have a go at fencing too,but again its a minority thing so nothing around where i am,any way heal quick and get back to what you enjoy :tongue:

frog

Sounds very painful! Very sorry to hear you're hurt. The van driver will get his in due course. Never laugh at others' misfortune - you're just asking for trouble.

Pain killers to control the agony and some retail therapy over the weekend to remind yourself you're worth it. :tongue:

Get well soon :?:

OP
OP
dub-no-bass

dub-no-bass

Went back to the hospital today because my middle finger is still very stiff and bruised. A quick x-ray or two showed a healthy finger, but also a broken wrist, so now my arm's in a plaster cast :biggrin::sad::biggrin:

Can't use the turbo trainer I've just bought because it's a real plaster cast, not one of the fibreglass jobs, and I can't get it wet - and I sweat a lot when I cycle. I am also going to be having both jaws broken and re-set 2 weeks tomorrow, so Christ knows how I'm going to be able to cope with just the one functional arm and not being able to eat solid food for a month or so.

I'm feeling rather sorry for myself now, can you tell?

Tetedelacourse

dub-no-bass said:
Went back to the hospital today because my middle finger is still very stiff and bruised. A quick x-ray or two showed a healthy finger, but also a broken wrist, so now my arm's in a plaster cast :biggrin::sad::smile:

Can't use the turbo trainer I've just bought because it's a real plaster cast, not one of the fibreglass jobs, and I can't get it wet - and I sweat a lot when I cycle. I am also going to be having both jaws broken and re-set 2 weeks tomorrow, so Christ knows how I'm going to be able to cope with just the one functional arm and not being able to eat solid food for a month or so.

:biggrin: Bloody nora Dubbers, that's not good. I suggest a course of cycling DVDs, books and plenty of soup and booze. Actually I'm almost finished the greatest cycling book I've ever read - Indurain: A Tempered Passion. I'll happily send it to you to help you through your recovery if you like.

Cisamcgu - shoosh;) if nothing else the ridiculousness will take her mind off her injuries!

Arch

Married to Night Train
dub-no-bass said:

I'm not surprised! Bad luck. :biggrin:

I suggest drinking straws and a lot of chocolate milkshake...

On a practical note, my Mum broke her wrist and set herself to do as many things as she could one handed, living alone as she was. One thing that helped was a piece of that grippy stuff you get to line trays, to stop glasses etc sliding about. If she needed to open a jar, she could put it on the stuff, and twist the top with one had, and the grippy stuff held the jar still. Not strong enough for a brand new seal perhaps, but fine for already opened once jars - stuff like jam... I suspect a rubber mat of some kind would suffice if you can't find the grippy stuff...

OP
OP
dub-no-bass

dub-no-bass

Arch said:
I'm not surprised! Bad luck. :biggrin:
I suggest drinking straws and a lot of chocolate milkshake...
Alas, due to simultaneous extraction of lower wisdom teeth and a mouthful of stitches from the surgery, sucking on straws is not allowed for at least a couple of weeks. You have to aim cups of liquid food at your (usually still-numb) lips and hope some lands in your mouth and makes it past your (banded shut) teeth.

I'm looking on the bright side - I will finally shift that last stubborn stone!

Thanks for the advice on the rubber mat - could be useful. I will be asking the husband to help me - this morning he made marmite on toast for me, a first in 13 years of being together!

...don't tell us - you hate Marmite!
Sorry to hear about your misfortune DNB ('does not bend' in this instance...) and one handed typing will not help with the RSI - after you have recovered from the other stuff!

Best wishes and a speedy return to good health.
m

Top Bottom