creaking pedals\shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I ride with spd ..mtb pedals,on two bikes

One of which is a road bike

(ducks)

So, no matter which of my bikes I ride, with whichever pedal and shoe combo...my shoes and pedals ALWAYS end up creaking.

Forget style and the velomunati...be honest, do road pedals creak a lot too?.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Try spraying the pedal with gt85 /wd 40 or such like, my pedal/cleat interface sometimes creaks and this solves it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One pair of my shoes creaks (Spiuk) , the other pair doesn't (Spesh). With the same pedals (SPD on road bike). A smear of grease or vaseline on the pedal/shoe interface cures it for a while.

simongt

Guru
I take it that you've already checked the torque setting for the bolts holding the cleats on - ? Even a modicum of 'undertorque' will cause EXTREMELY ANNOYING creaking - !:banghead:

Buck

Guru
I ride with spd ..mtb pedals,on two bikes

One of which is a road bike

(ducks)

So, no matter which of my bikes I ride, with whichever pedal and shoe combo...my shoes and pedals ALWAYS end up creaking.

Forget style and the velomunati...be honest, do road pedals creak a lot too?.

Try spraying the pedal with gt85 /wd 40 or such like, my pedal/cleat interface sometimes creaks and this solves it.

Mine creaked on my last ride (last weekend). Today I checked the bolts were tight and then gave them a quick spray of WD40 - no creaks :biggrin:

I have the same bike/shoe/pedal configuration and mine creak too. Given up with oil etc - just twist the shoe in the cleat when it happens (as if you are going to unclip) and it goes away - for a while....

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've just bought a very expensive pair of Campagnolo pedals which are apparently notorious for creaking, so I'll let you know...

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have the same bike/shoe/pedal configuration and mine creak too. Given up with oil etc - just twist the shoe in the cleat when it happens (as if you are going to unclip) and it goes away - for a while....
Yep, I have taken to doing this too. Problem is, on a long ride...like 100 miles...I'm concerned for the damage this may do to my knees...plus it takes the enjoyment out of the ride having to obsess about twisting my feet constantly.

I need a better solution, will await an update from @winjim ...no pressure!!

ayceejay

Guru
If your shoes have fasteners that are leather lookalike (ie plastic) and they pass through a metal ring this is a source of a squeak. If you put some wax polish all the way along the strap and under the clasp or whatever see if this helps.

Top Bottom