Cricket thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
One that got away I feel, nothing happened today until 2 wickets with the 2nd new ball, but the 7th wicket pair seem to have got settled in

Yep we just can't make things happen when it counts too often we let games run away with themselves.
No way should we lose this game but it's quickly looking like it.

View attachment 727772

scoreboard at start of day:
View attachment 727771

you were surmising "you" needed to take 6 wickets, Essex had 6 2nd inning wickets left (however they declared as I predicted)

Then either Essex needed to take 10 wickets or Kent score 374 to win (my 400 comment was assuming Essex battled on to allow Kent to take those 6 wickets)

Essex have Kent 7 down as I type but running out of time.
Maybe I should have said "What am I talking about"❓️
When I looked we had already declared so that was the misunderstanding on my part.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yep we just can't make things happen when it counts too often we let games run away with themselves.
No way should we lose this game but it's quickly looking like it.

I don't think that blasted Kookaburra ball helps, it does nothing after 20 overs.

9 draws from 9 games from this last round.

I might pop to Lords on Friday as we're playing Middx, see how the Dukes ball fairs....

tom73

Guru
I don't think that blasted Kookaburra ball helps, it does nothing after 20 overs.

9 draws from 9 games from this last round.

I might pop to Lords on Friday as we're playing Middx, see how the Dukes ball fairs....

It's yet another ECB death by a thousand cuts CC plan. It's totally pointless only a handful of players are ever going to play down under.
Most aren't even playing domestic cricket, It's a total waste of time the only thing it's doing is getting people. Use to high scoring ,pointless draws. So when tests end up the same way and no-one says anything.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
England, India, Windies use Dukes for Test Cricket
Aus, NZ, Pakistan, SL, Bang, SA use Kookaburra for Test Cricket

I can see the sense in getting people used to it, but maybe do that at Test cricket training sessions as it doest move for the seamers nor suit the spinners with its crappy flat seam.

17 out 18 matches drawn in this first "kookaburra" window and whilst some of that was time lost to the weather, there was also some very high scores kicking around.

tom73

Guru
England, India, Windies use Dukes for Test Cricket
Aus, NZ, Pakistan, SL, Bang, SA use Kookaburra for Test Cricket

I can see the sense in getting people used to it, but maybe do that at Test cricket training sessions as it doest move for the seamers nor suit the spinners with its crappy flat seam.

17 out 18 matches drawn in this first "kookaburra" window and whilst some of that was time lost to the weather, there was also some very high scores kicking around.
It is a training issue they have plenty of time now it's not like most have county matchers to play.
Makes you wonder how great test player of the past even coped with overseas tests. Let alone made the match figures many now can only dream of.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Makes you wonder how great test player of the past even coped with overseas tests.
The longer tours in those days with plenty of meaningful warm up matches must have helped them get used to local conditions and any differences in balls used, if indeed there was any difference in those days. I assume all balls were hand stitched back then. I have no idea when K started machine stitching theirs.
Boycott pretty much used to skip tours to the sub continent didn't he as he didn't like the food and climate.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1000020174.jpg

Welcome to the onsite reporting!

Top Bottom