CrowdRiders; the world's 1st pro cycling team owned and managed by a crowd of cycling enthusiasts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found this new thing called crowdriders.
As they say they " aim to start a professional cycling team with a crowd of cycling enthusiasts. CrowdRiders’ members become owners and managers of this professional cycling team having a vote in all the major decisions affecting the cycling team. A team that will participate in some of the biggest and most famous races all over the world!"

I think it is a sweet idea. What do you think?

gavintc

Guru
You might smell a sweet idea, I smell something less pleasant. It does not stack up, as a business plan and I would be surprised if you get more than a few punters (gullible people) prepared to stump up real hard earned money for this sweet idea (scam).

gavintc

Guru
Looked around the site and it is empty. No comment, no riders, no real plan. Just give me 55 Euro and it will be good. Perhaps the cynic in me has seen too many Nigerian letters, that I just distrust this sort of thing.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I was trying to remember which footie team it was that did this, Ebbsfleet indeed!

I guess it's more difficult to persuade people to do it for cycling, it's not like you can go and watch 'your team' at their home games every other week or so. It's difficult to even see much cycling on telly, especially stuff that's not top level...

mondobongo

Über Member
Nice idea following on from the Rapha sponsorship and the Garmin club but think they have set the buy-in way too low at 55 Euros.

Can't see any top riders signing up for a team that relies on people paying subs to support it and is 2.2 million euros going to be enough to set up a team from a standing start.

OP
OP
K

kruuemel

The fact that the website is empty is because we CrowdRiders can not have riders, a plan or comments when it all just started 1 day ago!

The idea is that people sign up (just registering their email; and NOT pay 55 Eur now). The moment we reach 40.000 people their will be a base big enought to get this going (same approach as Ebbsfleet). From then on, the members will decide upon Riders, plan, race calendar....everything! Only then will we start accepting payments.

2.2 million EUr indeed is not enough as mondobongo correctly remarks. The aim is 4 million (top budget for a pro continental team, it is more than Barloworld (3.5million) and Agritubel (3.7million) two top pro continental teams who rode the 2008 Tour de France). By getting at least 51% of those 4million through the crowd, this same crowd keeps the majority vote (so can decide what will happen).
I am sure with 40.000people behind this team it will be easy to find a shirt sponsor that is willing to pitch in the remaining 2million (which is a bargain, compared to what they would have to pay would they wanne set up a team themselves).

Seems like a fair and crowd risk-less approach to me!
I will try to make it more clear on the site. Thanks for the comments.

Noodley

kruuemel said:
I found this new thing called crowdriders.

What do you think?

Did you 'find' it or are you behind it?

Your last post indicates you are behind the website or at least have input.

Distrust is not a good starting point.

Dave5N

Über Member
Of course he's behind it. That's why he rocked up here. And he is very welcome.

Ravenz

kruuemel said:
The fact that the website is empty is because we CrowdRiders can not have riders, a plan or comments when it all just started 1 day ago!

I will try to make it more clear on the site. Thanks for the comments.

I just love dozy arsed ideas like this... I'm currently at a loose end at the moment.. give me a bell if you need my superb expertise .. mind you I WONT ride anything costing less than $9.5k .. gottit...?;);):wacko:

...you blinkin' dreeemerz...

Top Bottom