Cruix de fer or Volare 00 or Volant 00 or Equilibrium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am almost on the verge of getting the Cruix de fer, but was wondering if the Volare or Volant or Equilibrium are comparable. Not as many reviews as the Cruix. I'd go for any of the versions up to £1200 - whichever is the better buy.

My cycling consists of daily road commutes (20miles a day), long rides at the weekend, cycling holidays (supported and non - with varying amounts of camping stuff - but only 1/2 a year), the odd sportive/club ride (only a handful a year). So mainly road riding commutes.

I am not really that bothered about the off-road functionality (aside from the odd gravel path). I've got a mountain bike for that, so I don't necessarily need a CX bike, but would love a bike that would be suitable for the above, and the Cruix de fer is very well reviewed, and rated as far as I can see on CycleChat already.

Would the Volare / Volant / Equilibrium be worthy contenders - as well as maybe being a bit racier/lighter?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Although not ridden far, I am taken with my equilibrium 20 in gorgeous burnt orange! Built to own spec, rather Than off the peg though

One thing to note, the bike will happily take full mudguards, however, it does not have rack lugs. I am going for the beam rack option probably although I prefer a fixed rack, but you need a special seat post clamp at the very least, not sure about attaching to the seat stays yet

Thus, if touring, the other frame options might be better as a beam rack has a 10kg limit

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Although not ridden far, I am taken with my equilibrium 20 in gorgeous burnt orange! Built to own spec, rather Than off the peg though

One thing to note, the bike will happily take full mudguards, however, it does not have rack lugs. I am going for the beam rack option probably although I prefer a fixed rack, but you need a special seat post clamp at the very least, not sure about attaching to the seat stays yet

Thus, if touring, the other frame options might be better as a beam rack has a 10kg limit
On a couple of my bikes its possible to wriggle my Topeak beam rack through the seat stays and then clamp it to the frame tubing (steel) rather than the seat post (aluminium), Oh and I also have the mudguard and side supports fitted to the rack.

BSRU

A Human Being
The Croix de Fer is not a "slow" bike, it is a "road" bike that takes bigger tyres, has mount points for mudguards/pannier rack and has disc brakes.
One negative is that the wheels are heavy compared to some decent disc wheels, such as the ones I upgraded to the Hope Hoops.

Top Bottom