CTC Membership Survey

Do you have faith in the direction that the CTC is heading?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
You know, I just get on my bike and ride it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You know, I just get on my bike and ride it.
I just get on my bike and ride it.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks in the company of others.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks in the company of others on holiday.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks in the company of others on holiday touring.

Are all some of the reasons why a club can be a good idea.

There are loads more.

Dec66

I just get on my bike and ride it.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks in the company of others.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks in the company of others on holiday.
I just get on my bike and ride it whilst being insured for third party risks in the company of others on holiday touring.

Are all some of the reasons why a club can be a good idea.

There are loads more.

I just get on my bike and ride it... carefully.

Dec66

as do I but...

if a child runs out and I run them over...
or I fall off and bring down another rider who sustains life changing injuries...
&c...
If it scares you that much, get the insurance. But you don't have to be in a club. There are many many insurance companies who are happy to deal with you as an individual.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If it scares you that much, get the insurance. But you don't have to be in a club. There are many many insurance companies who are happy to deal with you as an individual.
Scares' is a strange word to use.

Yep, plenty of insurance companies will deal with me as an individual, and charge me handsomely as an individual too. Whereas a club policy brings all manner of collective discounts and benefits.

Dec66

Scares' is a strange word to use.

Yep, plenty of insurance companies will deal with me as an individual, and charge me handsomely as an individual too. Whereas a club policy brings all manner of collective discounts and benefits.
I don't think £12 a year for a million quid's worth of liability coverage, to pull the first quote of the stack I just saw, is excessive?

I'd actually quite like to be in a club but can't be, for reasons I've gone into before and won't go into again, but I'm not going to made to feel like I need to be in one to be a "proper" cyclist.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd actually quite like to be in a club but can't be, for reasons I've gone into before and won't go into again, but I'm not going to made to feel like I need to be in one to be a "proper" cyclist.
No one, least of all me, thinks you need to be. Except perhaps your good self.:okay:

THE Chair of the CTC is taking control of the CTC from its members and giving it to CEO who will change from a grassroots organisation to a NGO going for grants etc.

In a nutshell

Have you got it now?

Well, that's too short, but I thought my nice little summary in post #61 neatly encapsulated the gist of what needed to be said in your original post if you wanted to try and persuade people to respond to the CTC survey.

Sadly, your amended version in post #62 clearly shows the media training you have listed in your CV was a waste of money. I don't mean that as an insult, but to put a revised wording which, when put into Word spreads 243 lines of badly worded text over 6 pages and consists of 2,506 words, means your important message gets lost.

However, as @GrumpyGregry accurately points out, it's been over for years. It was clear to me by 2010 that the traditional CTC no longer exists, as it's not a member led organisation, as it's not the Cyclists' Touring Club any more. It's a business.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
However, as @GrumpyGregry accurately points out, it's been over for years. It was clear to me by 2010 that the traditional CTC no longer exists, as it's not a member led organisation, as it's not the Cyclists' Touring Club any more. It's a business.
My suspicion is that in the long run that will be a good thing for the membership, and, importantly for the vast majority of cyclists who aren't members. @Philip Benstead won't know, because he's rarely involved here, but at least two of our Cyclechat regulars have been councillors in the past - and the stories they've posted have been hair-raising, as has their despair at being able to make any changes. Which means that the for a number of years the councillors as a body have not been doing their duty (legal and moral) in holding the executive to account. As a CTC member who has no attachment of any kind to the old model of member-led local groups, I'd welcome anything that made it more likely that that will happen in the future.

classic33

Leg End Member
Or @Philip Benstead for this forum?

You'd think some sort of involvwment and proving of his bikey credentials to assume to preach in the way he does. A handful of posts over many years, not a single word of advice or encouragement or recommendation of lights, crankset or whatever on day to day cycling questions or thought, but just a few stolen bike posts and exhortations that those in CTC should copy and paste hisn world view as their own.

Philip: I'm a rare attender on the CTC forum and have pretty well given up on Bikeradar, do other places get your sporadic politicking too?
He's not been on bikeradar for the last three and a half years. His tw*tter feed was on overload earlier this week on this, fb page, no comments allowed and a security check to pass to access it.
Says more than what he has sofar

swansonj

Guru
I did not join CTC primarily for the insurance, and not at all for a local group. I joined to support an organisation that would represent the interests of "practical" cycling: cycling as a functional mode of transport not cycling for sport; cycling for enjoyment not cycling for competition (with a small c); cycling for ordinary people not cycling for fit people. Those are the things the CTC has deliberately sidelined in pursuing its leaders' ambitions and those are the things that the space is now open for someone else to occupy.

Top Bottom