Curse and Damn!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
My Mother used to do some pretty good cooking on the Rayburn, are they still going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
sheddy said:
The Aga is supposed to be the bees knees. Should be too for what they cost. £5k ?

Sadly it's not an Aga, but an Esse which is Aga style. Imagine they would cost a fortune, this was £2K about 11 years ago (came with the house).

You can still buy Rayburns as well.

Maybe I've just not got the hang of it yet.

Cake was actually really nice though :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just remember, if a cake does that sort of thing, but is otherwise perfectly edible, and you want to save face, don't say you made a cake. Make up some poncy name. Say it's a Patagonian souffle or something, and you're sworn to secrecy over the recipe...

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need an Aga cake baker.

If you haven't got one of these you need to bake the cake on the normal rack on the floor of the top oven for about 20 minutes, with the plain cold shelf slid onto the second set of runners down. This will create the correct conditions for baking a cake nice and evenly.

The great thing about Agas is their intense dry heat unlike the steamy wet heat you get in a standard gas oven, which inhibits the formnation of the sponge.

We got our 2 oven gas Aga for £1500 off Ebay, in almost new condition.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Rigid Raider said:
You need an Aga cake baker.

If you haven't got one of these you need to bake the cake on the normal rack on the floor of the top oven for about 20 minutes, with the plain cold shelf slid onto the second set of runners down. This will create the correct conditions for baking a cake nice and evenly.

The great thing about Agas is their intense dry heat unlike the steamy wet heat you get in a standard gas oven, which inhibits the formnation of the sponge.

We got our 2 oven gas Aga for £1500 off Ebay, in almost new condition.

...electric fan oven?:tongue:

simoncc

During my teaching days I baked many a cake during low ability 'science' classes. We used gas ovens and they worked OK.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
TheDoctor said:
...electric fan oven?:biggrin:
Used to have one of those in my flat - it was great :sad:

Simon - gas ovens are also good, but gas Agas work very differently.

I might try Rigid Raider's suggestion, but have no idea what a cold shelf is?

Cake has all gone now :tongue:

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
£75 for an Aga cake baker :tongue: :biggrin: :sad:

Top Bottom