CX/Hybrid/Commuter bike (small or small/medium frame) needed urgently

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a friend who needs a bike. She has signed up to do a charity ride next month and we have been training together and she is doing really well - I already have her managing 45 miles on her BSO, so don't think there will be any issue with her completing the 88 miles she needs to do. Her employers have just turned down her ride to work application and her existing 'bike' is a BSO that has basically seen better days and is on its last legs. My last resort is to replace the front derailleur with a new one and gear shifter, plus her brakes and hope she can ride 88 miles in 1 day on it! We need something that doesn't need much or anything doing to it.

She is roughly 5 foot 4 inches, fits my mountain bike really well (15 inch frame).

Funds are seriously limited £150-200 max and that includes postage if it is nowhere near Cheshire, Lancashire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Manchester or North East Wales (Chester area really). Bristol/Bath/Lancaster could be an option depending on my OH's work commitments.

She hasn't ridden a road bike before, (I will try her on mine this week and see if it is even an option) so flat bars are probably the only way we can go on this.

I know this is a big ask.
Thanks
SNSSO

Cyclist33

Schwalbe City Jets on your MTB and she borrows it for the ride? Should be a cinch if she can do 45 miles on a BSO.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Schwalbe City Jets on your MTB and she borrows it for the ride? Should be a cinch if she can do 45 miles on a BSO.
that's my back up plan, but she isn't that happy borrowing my mountain bike. We only really met 2 months ago by chance when we gave her directions on the Whitegate Way and I think whilst she is happy riding my mtb whilst I am around she is worried about it when I am not. I don't mind, she does.

Gez73

Veteran
There is a Kona Dew Drop in our shed that she can use to prepare and do the ride. Should be a decent fit too. Needs nothing doing to it apart from being ridden! It's my spare spare if you follow. She is welcome to try it and see. Gez

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
There is a Kona Dew Drop in our shed that she can use to prepare and do the ride. Should be a decent fit too. Needs nothing doing to it apart from being ridden! It's my spare spare if you follow. She is welcome to try it and see. Gez
thanks - she has never ridden drops at all, so I will have to see how she managed on my road bike which I have also offered to lend her. To date I have only managed to get her to borrow my mtb whilst I am cycling with her.

Top Bottom