Cycle lane Lunacy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_3416.JPG
Saw this on twitter today- the daily mail have been slating cycle lanes again- which is apparently the cause of the capitals gridlock and pollution problems! I will let you read this excellent piece of journalism for yourselves..

(Apologies if already posted, couldn't find in my search)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sad to say, the Mail has it right on the Embankment path. The rest is rubbish.

I always like the hypocrisy

Removing 30 year old cherry trees to provide the path is unacceptable

In Hampshire they removed an avenue of Maples donated by the Canadian Government asa memorial because despite being some 8 feet away from the road they were a hazard to motorists

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Daily Mail / Daily Mash which one is the spoof ...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/cyclists-to-create-bike-themed-superstate-201105123805

Cyclists to create bike-themed superstate
12-05-11
PUSH bike devotees are scheming to subjugate the Western world to their deity Shimano, it emerged last night.

bikegears.jpg

For it is written

Cycling has become increasingly prevalent in recent months, despite being shoot, triggering speculation those devoted to the hobby must have a more sinister agenda other than very uncomfortable transport.

Tom Logan, Grand Cantilever of the Guardians of Shimano, said: “We have now achieved Objective One of The Pedal Plan – to own the roads through being mildly obstructive.

“With the cars gone, we can zip around everywhere at speeds of over 30mph, garotting non-believers with brake wire.

“Once all dissenters are dead, we will begin to customise our body parts, replacing limbs with wheels, to become more like the mighty Shimano.

“In the new land of Pedallon all will be new and clean and emission-free. Clothes will be made of scrotum-hugging futuristic fabric and the only legal music will be Kraftwerk.”

He added: “If anyone tries to stand in our way, we will knock into them and then pretend it’s their fault.”

Conspirologoist, Dr Helen Archer, said: “The real problem is that they will know very quickly who the non-believers are because when you meet a cyclist it is absolutely impossible to hide your contempt.

“That said, I am not sure if their bike-based society would be better or worse than Clarkson’s being-a-prick-based society.”

robjh

Legendary Member
I love the bit about cycle lanes being poorly used outside rush hour and therefore to be opened up to other traffic at other times - other traffic which will also be scarcer outside rush hours and therefore not needing any extra space.
On that logic I look forward to motor roads being turned over to pedestrians, dog walkers and children's play areas in the middle of the day when there are not enough motor vehicles around to justify them.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I think they've missed a trick.

Last time I was in that there London I noticed a great big river running through the middle of it, but there were hardly any boats on it - so clearly the boatists aren't using it as they should be, despite it being paid for with taxpayers money.
Imagine if they drained that and put a bit of tarmac down, how many extra taxis and vans could get around the place unimpeded? Plus all the extra jobs it would create. OK, it might inconvenience a few boatists, with their silly boating clothes, but it isn't like they pay any river tax is it?
Actually, if you got a straight bit of river and tarmaced it, you could land aeroplanes on it and there would be no need to expand Heathrow would there?
I'm going to write to that Sadiq Khan, that's Londons congestion problems sorted.

;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Daily Mail Story Generator.

Not just headlines, whole stories of autogenerated hate.

dim

cambridge are chopping trees down on Milton road .... new /better cycle path will be built and roads will be wider ... it's a busy road

loads of uproar about the trees

but, my guess is that Cambridge will follow London's example of Congestion Zone .... and they are 'secretly' working towards that

pay extra if you have a car to enter the city. I've also seen more and more people using e-bikes now .... getting fed up about driving to the city, and too frail and old/lazy to ride normal bikes

I live in Great Shelford (a village in Cambridge) .... to drive by car to the city takes nearly 40 minutes in the morning .... sometimes a lot more

to cycle on the cycle path takes 12 minutes .... (I've done in in under 9 min when I felt 'frisky' with a good tail wind)

take a bus and if you are lucky, it takes over an hour to get to the centre if you travel between 8am and 9am plus add the 10 minute walk to the bus stop and pray that the bus is one time (which it is never)

we do have a train station here and the trains are very good, but we are fortunate, as most other villages don't have this

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4498734, member: 259"]"Back in London, the former Chancellor Lord Lawson went so far in a debate in the House of Lords as to suggest that cycle lanes were doing more damage to the capital than ‘almost anything since the Blitz’.,"

:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I'm very much on the cycle lane sceptic side but Lawson's twittish hyperbole must be something of a world record. How could you parody that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom