Cycle Safety App: Request for feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_mappit

I have built an app for identifying and discussing cycling safety issues with reference to a map.You can map local problems in a detailed way using points, lines and polygons, then describe the issue and optionally attach photographs.

The value of the map is that
1) it is much more obvious what and where the perceived problem is and
2) it is easy to identify local issues and discuss how to solve them with other local people who use the same route and experience the same problem
3) planners and local authorities can quickly identify the most contentious and dangerous failings of cycling provision in their jurisdiction.

I am seeking feedback on the app: How can it be improved? More features? Fewer features? Would you use it?All feedback will be gratefully received.
www.mappit.net/cycling

Ern1e

Über Member
Sorry alex but that is not a thing for me ! reason I find things like this take me to long to master the use of them,it could be a good tool in the right hands but certainly not mine lol.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've used something like this in the past and it was good to find that other cyclists had the same problems as me in places. Now that site was watched by the council too though it wasn't run by them, so the did see the comments. How will the councils be aware of any issues raised?

I haven't yet registered so haven't looked in detail, but are there different categories of problems, and how will it be different than fix my street or fill a hole?

Does it work on your mobile, picking up the location automatically?

OP
OP
A

alex_mappit

I've used something like this in the past and it was good to find that other cyclists had the same problems as me in places. Now that site was watched by the council too though it wasn't run by them, so the did see the comments. How will the councils be aware of any issues raised?

I haven't yet registered so haven't looked in detail, but are there different categories of problems, and how will it be different than fix my street or fill a hole?

Does it work on your mobile, picking up the location automatically?

The goal is enabling discussion with a map for reference rather than reporting problems to an authority.

I see it filling a different niche than FixMyStreet. There are types of significant problems or failure of cycle provision that don't fall into the FixMyStreet domain - for example someone just submitted the lack of bike access to the Clifton/Durdham Downs.

A council is not necessarily going to be a relevant organisation to contact - it could be Sustrans or a Supermarket or a University or some other body. Furthermore different countries use different administrative systems to deal with problems and local people with local knowledge are likely to know best.

It is browsable on mobile and the commenting and voting works but actually drawing features on a map on a touchscreen isn't supported yet. It will auto-locate the map for you.

Do you have a link for the other site?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can't remember I think it was Bristol Streets but i couldn't seem to find the bit where you used to be able to log the problems. I remember one option was to be able to suggest good sites for cycle stands.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is this participation map for the Leeds City Connect scheme which has been heavily subscribed although a small handful of users are responsible for most of the responses.

http://www.cyclecityconnect.co.uk/participate.php
I think that it's normally a small number of users, it's the same for potholes, loads of people moan about them, but if you ask how many they have reported it's likely to be none.

D

Deleted member 23692

Highway Authorities already have a simple reporting system in place, which enables the correct information to be captured. It's far more effective to report the issue to them directly rather than bleat about it on any 3rd party website.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Highway Authorities already have a simple reporting system in place, which enables the correct information to be captured. It's far more effective to report the issue to them directly rather than bleat about it on any 3rd party website.
I disagree in someways, the Fill That Hole site means it is logged and visible to all, and then reported to the council websites. Which means it's easy to see if someone has already reported the problem and the council hasn't done anything about it.

Edit: posted at the same time as User but he said it better!

D

Deleted member 23692

I'd beg to differ, having been in receipt of reports

D

Deleted member 23692

Scant information provided by complainant
FTH send the report to the wrong authority
The need to double handle the report to put it into the official system

Plus if an authority gets 10 individual reports about a problem, it will get fixed far quicker than one person sticking it on a 3rd party website and then another 9 seeing a dot on a map and assuming it's being dealt with.

OP
OP
A

alex_mappit

Some sites are intended for reporting problems are some are intended for consultation and discussion. While there is some overlap between these sites they serve different purposes. The former niche is well filled in the United Kingdom by FixMyStreet, local authorities directly and similar services like FillThatHole. The second niche is less well provided for.

Straightforward reporting is fine for potholes, street repairs, public lighting etc but it isn't much help for less black-and-white problems like when there is a major lack of provision or places where cyclists are forced into dangerous or inconvenient manoeuvres. The Leeds project map linked above makes a reasonable stab at providing a participatory map to discuss these more complicated issues and request/collaborate on significant change.

Feedback on the cycling app focussed on the lack of specificity so I made some changes to allow users to create their own participatory layers for specific topics/projects and specific areas. Thank you to those who helped.

Top Bottom