Cycle to Chester and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: I went on a ride out to Chester. For a day out to check out routes and Campsites for future trips out .
I went from Handforth Nr Wilmslow ,via Mobberley and the Cheshire Cycleways . Out to Davenham . Stopped at the picnic area on the A556 for lunch . Then on down the dual carriageway to Sandiway passing Delamere Forest ,Kelsall . And turned off at Vicars cross down Stamford lane to Birch heath lane to Christleton . Then came up to the towpath on the Shropshire Canal went along to Recce the route on the NCR through Chester . Avoiding the congested traffic . Which goe's to Deeside and out to Connahs Quay . And North Wales .
With It been the afternoon the rush hour had built up . I decided not to return by the main routeTarvin /A51 road back .
And plotted a route directly East keeping a line with the Cheshire cycleways .
Except It meandered a lot . So I went through Christleton again to Rakes lane , Plough lane and Platts lane . Then it all turned into rough tracks very narrow overgrown with tree's ,hedge's . I ended up going across old pack horse bridges . I seemed to be on or near The Bakers way . Eventually surfaced onto the A51 near Tarvin , made my way to Oscroft . Down a nice long stretch past Weetwood common
With a gradual Incline to Willington Corner . Turning Up to Boothsdale and up Rough Low . I must have found one of the steepest hills In Cheshire . I had to get off and walk . Bypassing the Sandstone trail made my way down Tirley lane . Got up a bit of speed on coming down Heaths Lane the road was that badly rutted . With all the bumps and jolts lost the lens and part of my front headlight . :wub: Eventually came out onto the B5152 and headed towards Delamere over the A54 ,up to The old Chester road . A556. Made good time upto the Plumley turn off to Lower Peover . Ollerton ,Marthall ,Mobberley . and home. Had a great day out ,lovely day . And covered 70 miles . :ohmy: :becool: :biggrin: :hello:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A map would prevent you from meandering as much.

Nice ride though. What did you do in Chester?

calibanzwei

Now that is an adventure!
biggrin.gif

There are hills in Cheshire, don't let people tell you different. I'd stay off some of those big roads you were on though, sheesh.

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
:biggrin: Globalti.
I had a O/S 1:25000 map of the area I decided to explore a different route home . I dont mind meandering .Or been adventures Thats how you find all the unknown roads/lanes . I went to Check out Campsites In and around Chester . For future touring . Also Checked out the Canal towpath for Bypassing Chesters traffic. Just a recca and day out .
Cheers :becool: :wacko: :smile:

Smeggers 11.
I did get a warp speed of 37 mph :ohmy: going down the Kelsall bypass . Its about a mile long . " Thats why I avoided it on the way back ". :wub: Ta Ra .

Crackle .
I think I know most of the hills In Cheshire now . :ohmy: Thanks for the tip . About keeping off the main roads .
Thanks everybody for your Input . :biggrin: :rolleyes: :becool: :hello:

Top Bottom