Cycling along the Tyne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks this is really helpful. I've been studying the map and thought it looked easier on the northbank but wondered what happens when you get to the A1 - are there any bits where you are in amongst the traffic?

No, you come out of the Newburn riverside park and follow the path along the river, then cross at the lights by the Denton roundabout. Traffic free.

I kind of wish I had a helmet cam, because I do that route myself sometimes so I could just send you a vid!

puffinbilly

Veteran
There is a great cycle path as @Hip Priest says - that will take you straight to where you want to go. I do this route quite often and I would head to Newburn bridge and follow the signs (clearly marked) - use the path through the Newburn industrial estate - takes you past Warburtons and then onto Scotswood road - cross to the north side at the cycle crossing at the roundabout where B&Q is.
This then takes you onto the cycle path for a mile and drops down to a cycle path that runs the length of Scotswood road - I would then take George St and onto Blandford St and then Blandford Square and you're there.

The cycle path avoids the A1 completely and avoids any roads till George St - only crossing a couple at cycle crossings.

There is a great cycle path as @Hip Priest says - that will take you straight to where you want to go. I do this route quite often and I would head to Newburn bridge and follow the signs (clearly marked) - use the path through the Newburn industrial estate - takes you past Warburtons and then onto Scotswood road - cross to the north side at the cycle crossing at the roundabout where B&Q is.
This then takes you onto the cycle path for a mile and drops down to a cycle path that runs the length of Scotswood road - I would then take George St and onto Blandford St and then Blandford Square and you're there.

The cycle path avoids the A1 completely and avoids any roads till George St - only crossing a couple at cycle crossings.
That's the way to go for you. I live in winlaton so cycle regularly round there and this is the most traffic free route from Ryton. From yours drop down to wylam and join the hadrians route there to newburn. There's also a cycle lane running most of the length of scotswood road which I use on a morning.

OP
OP
Little Rach

Little Rach

Regular
No, you come out of the Newburn riverside park and follow the path along the river, then cross at the lights by the Denton roundabout. Traffic free.

I kind of wish I had a helmet cam, because I do that route myself sometimes so I could just send you a vid!
That's a good idea anyway in case of any incidents - good to know easy to cross as that was the one thing that concerned me really. Thanks.

Be careful in the fog.....

Hands off - it is all mine, all mine!

I have cycled along the Tyne whilst touring and the paths can be reasonable and can be covered in glass, so be aware

I cannot advise on the local knowledge and how the paths change through the day

For instance there is a park I pass through...

Most days it is fine

Some days I share the park with Fitness training group who are fine
If there is a cricket match, the club set up their scoring desks, chairs and sun loungers on the cycle path making it impassable
On a summer evening and a late session you can get a few drunks and teenagers which can be anything from friendly, harmless, inquisitive to aggressive

This is the information that can on;y come from loal knowledge

OT and for the youthful ones...... way back in the 1970s there was a band called Lindisfarne

They had a song dedicated to Newcastle and the Tyne, but with lyrics that could not be sung after a few pints, as they were sheer tongue twisters!

Sittin' in a sleazy snack-bar
Suckin', sickly sausage rolls
Slippin' down slowly, slippin' down sideways
Think I'll sign off the dole

‘Cause the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine
The fog on the Tyne is all mine
The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine

Could a copper catch a crooked coffin maker
Could a copper comprehend
That a crooked coffin maker is just an undertaker
Who undertakes to be a friend?

And the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine

Tell it to tomorrow, today will take it's time
To tell you what tonight will bring
Presently we'll have a pint or two together
Everybody do their thing

We can swing together, we can have a wee wee
We can have a wet on the wall
If someone slips a whisper that its simple sister
Slapped them down and slavered on their smalls

'Cause the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine

Fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Used to live in Crawcrook and work in Newcastle 20 odd years ago, even back then it was main road through Ryton down to Stella and over at Newburn Bridge. If I fancied adding a few more miles along to Wylam, over the bridge and straight onto the path pretty much along the Tyne to Newburn, a few more miles then through Wylam up to the A69 junction and go into town through Heddon & Throckley.

I guess Sustrans has made the riverside paths much nicer than they used to be.

OP
OP
Little Rach

Little Rach

Regular
OT and for the youthful ones...... way back in the 1970s there was a band called Lindisfarne

They had a song dedicated to Newcastle and the Tyne, but with lyrics that could not be sung after a few pints, as they were sheer tongue twisters!

I think I'm going to struggle to get this song out of my head for a few days now - will probably be heard muttering it as I'm pedalling down the Keelman Way... :smile:

OP
OP
Little Rach

Little Rach

Regular
Collected my happy machine this afternoon and rode it back from Start Cycles in Newcastle to home in Ryton - think I might have ridden some road stretches where could have taken path but it was fine. Only steep bit was up into the village itself once crossed the railtrack at the bottom of the hill. All fun :smile:

Top Bottom